Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was 9 my dad bought a skidoo tnt.  I liked it and drove the crap out of it when he finnally let me.  

But all i wanted was a yamaha v-max.  I thought they were the neatest thing.  My dad finally was going to buy a new sled for the first time.  I wanted Yamaha and he wanted skidoo because thats all he ever drove when he was a kid.  So he bought a Skidoo.  I though it was the neatest thing and ever since then thats all i own.  Not one skidoo has ever broke down on me since that tnt which broke down once a weekend.  

But nothing captured my brand loyalty like my 98 500 mxz.  What a machine.  I was smoking 580 cats 550 cats and it was just plain awsome.  It never broke down and now it has 9987.6km on it and compression test is 151/151.  It still hauls. And it corners like its on rails.  great sled.

I still like yamaha but ive ridden the SRX and SX viper and to me IMO the skidoo sleds offer me more and are designed better for my style of riding.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I guess you could say that since the family started out with Ski-doo, I developed a bad case of yellow underwear

Before our 2nd season, Dad bought a '71 Elan for Mom. She rode it one weekend and said she hated it. It wouldn't steer. She had driven his '70 335 Oly As anyone who has ridden an Elan knows, there is quite a bit of body englished in driving one. She just wanted to sit there and ride  

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My dad started out in 71 with a Viking then he bought another one in 73.  After Viking went out of business he bought a cat and we have been a cat family since.  I was blackballed in 93 when I bought a new Formula Plus 580.  I rode it for one year and dumped it at a loss.  I worked on that thing trying to get it to where I could bang the trails and finally gave up.  My dad's old 73 Cheetah was a better trail sled.  I picked up a 95 EXT then a 96 ZRT600 and finally a 98 ZR600.  I will never stray again.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I was always a polaris guy having owned a couple of indys and an edge and i loved them, but last year the doos looked too #### good to resist anymore so i tried a couple of mxz`s and i really liked it so i bought one.  It was the looks of the ski doo that got me first but after i drove one i just loved the way they ride, handle,and haul a$$, so i dont know if i am really loyal to just one brand because i really like the new ski doos and polaris has been really good to me over the years too so i guess i hold two brands dear to my heart.

·
Registered
918 Posts
All my friends ride Doos and they know how to fix anything on them. Why buy something else when your friends will work on your Ski-Doo for only parts? Besides Ski-Doo being the best sled out there.
            Ryan

·
Registered
625 Posts
I used to go on a couple sled trips a year, as time allowed (had just started my own business) after 3 years on rentals that were all Cats I had to get my own machines, I was hooked. At that time my opinion of Cats were not too high, they were fancooled, not very powerful, and LOUD. So when I was going to buy sleds for me and the wife, I started looking at used machines with no preference except no Cats. I ended up getting a 2000 Polaris Supersport (leftover) for the ole lady which she absolutely LOVES, it has about 4500 miles on it now, and the only problem I had was at about 15 miles the recoil spring broke. I ended up with a 98 Ski-Doo FIII 600 that I got with about 900 miles on it and it now has about 5700 miles on it, and the only problem I had with that one was at about 3500 miles the front arm of the rear suspension snapped, needless to say the new one was an updated design! I have been happy with both, I would also consider a Yamaha for a sled, but I still dont think I am ready to try owning a Cat, the just dont appeal to me much.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Pops liked scorpion but when they went under a friend of his said the slide rail on the cats was the best so dad bought a couple. Since then we have had good luck with them, and if it aint broke dont fix it right. I'll keep riding cats till they Pi*s me off...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I owned or rode almost anything growing up.  Relatives had all makes(colt, JD trail fire/liquifire, blizzard, intruder, tnt, eltigre, etc.)so I had a chance to ride them all and liked which ever one was running at the time the best.

The first sled I started taking to radar runs was my old mans 77 AC cross country cat.  I spend allot of time watching him and my uncles mess around with it and that is the sled that I learned the most about.  Ever since then I learned more and more about cat and the new models and decided to stick with what I know.  That is the main reason I have stuck with cat for so long.  I like other sleds, but would need to learn allot of new things about the clutching etc., mainly doo (mach Z)since that is the sled I see my self on next.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started with polaris when i was 15.It was a indy sport. since then i've had a indy 400,500,eltiger 5000,formula 583. I currently ride a xcr800 and love it.It's only has 2700m but it has been flawless like my other polaris's.the artic cat gave me promblems with the head and the skiidoo just was a really poor sled.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was not brought up around snowmobiles.  I had to find things out for myself.  

I first bought a 92 Yamaha Exciter.  Was a nice sled for it's time.  Plus it was cheap. No probs and ran good.

A friend of mine had picked up a new 1996 Ski-Doo F-III.  I got to ride it for about 100 miles and fell in love with it.  Smooth power, nice ride, and tons of fun.  Right then and there I knew it was time to send the Yami down the road.  

After the Yami sale I bought a new 1997 Mach Z.  ( F-III was fast...but I wanted more )  To this date I still run the Mach Z and don't think I will ever change brands.  ( If you saw some of the ski-doo forum posts, you would have seen the Ski-Doo tatt down my leg )

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I bought all Doos so far and can't complain at all.The Doos really look great and are IMO the most dependable.Got a great dealer (2 time dealer of the nation) What really got me into Doos first off was my best freind has a buddy up north that sells and services Pols. Cats and Doos.So I talked to him about which brand is the all around best sled and he said Doos.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
we had doo's back when i was a kid 6 years old, but my old man fazed out after a couple years. in 71 my farm equipment dealer uncle started selling yamahas and after what i would say were some of the worst winters in history he quit that in about 78. was fun though because at 12 years old i was on his race team and i got to hangout with the older guys that seemed to know everything about sleds in fact one fellow used to race factory ski-doo. never rode a sled from 76 till 99, it was a few friends that were going north and said they would loan me a sled but who borrows a sled ? and i made ten mllion excuses but luckily i was one excuse short. i said i was too busy to leave with them on wednesday but thursday would be good and it was too bad they were going to have to leave without me. then on the tuesday before all were leaving one of the guys called me and said he can't go wednesday but could leave thursday with me, i was in the corner then with no excuse and would never borrow a sled. so i said to him i'll call him back in an hour and i called around looking to buy a sled. first thing i thought was buy a polaris because all those guys have polaris and i am in a business that getting the same brand would be better. seriously the polaris dealers that hour did not want to sell a sled, i am sure that i couldn't have even stole one from them that day it seemed that they were all set on getting on to something else. even tried to buy a yamaha that hour too because i thought well atleast i can say i am familiar with the yamaha but the dealer had nothing to sell. so after coming up empty handed a challenge came into my mind i thought how stupid can these guys be so i called the doo dealers and almost came up without one. i bought the sled over the phone and went wednesday night to get it, i also needed the complete from helmet to boots so i got that too. the riding was good but where we stayed
 in parry sound the CRANE LAKE LODGE because they had rippers. the sled is a 500 mxz.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Hey Paul, that wasn't you out riding with Brett Lindros was it?  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 that little trick of his happened the year after we were there if my memory is correct. it's funny that you know where he cracked up and that is the place we stayed. lindros was there on one of the nights we were there "but" the rippers came back to our dump cabin. i went to sleep.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hum.. Started out with a run down john deer.  Never realy got to ride it. Got me 78 Tnt. nice little sled. Fixed it also more than i rode it. Next sled was a 86 formula plus. Rode alot!  by know I'm realy into the sport. So I wanna get me one of those yellow ones! So i get 98 MxZ 670. Wee! Fast sled. But again spent more time fixing it then riding it seems.  So by that time my buddies where riding cat's. And them seemed to be pulling me off the trail most of the time. So i got rid of that yeller one and got me a green machine! haven't looked back since!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I make it my point to keep "abreast" of things. As Hank Snow once said, "I've Been Everywhere Man"  
Places I've snowmobiled at:

To the north: Hearst
To the west: D'ville
To the east: Cloyne
To the south: North Oshawa

Lindros must be a fixture up there, we were at Bass Lake Restaurant on Lake Joseph for lunch one day and he was there.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well, I started out when I was 5, on a 80 something Kitty cat, and I thought those things were fast!  I soon moved onto a 81 Yamaha Enticer 300, not a bad sled, it took whatever I gave it, I probably rolled it about 10 times a season.  I then was able to ride on a 89 Jag 340, still, not a bad sled, very trustworthy, able to pull the skis, with ease.  I still have the Jag now, and I mainly ride the ole 93 Phazer, I just CAN'T GET ENOUGH of it, although my Newest V Max is Much nicer suspension wise (Of coarse&#33
 I'm probably going to stick with Yamaha for life, unless I get a very good deal on a different brand

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Started out getting rides on my dads 70 something polaris then when I got old enough my brother and I rode it around the farm.  My dad decided we needed to sleds and got me a 94 Jag 440.  Then later on he got my brother a 97 Jag 440.  The local dealer had always been good to me so I stuck with AC.  Since I have bought a 97 Cougar 550 and my first new sled a 00 ZR500 holdover.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
How did you find the cloyne area revrnd?I rode up there for a number of years and found it to be some of the best
And thats after riding most of ontario like yourself.The trails are fairly wide(i worked enough weekends cutting em to know)
smooth and not over travelled with johnny sno-cross coming
at you around every corner.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts