Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I think my problem is a flaky ground from the voltage regulator. If not I at least want to eliminate the possibility. But I need a little more basic instruction.

First of all, I don't even know which wire is ground. Is it the yellow one with the plug or the brown/black pair that is screwed in to the metal part of the voltage regulator? I assumed it was the black/brown but really I don't know.

Second, where does this ground wire end up? The engine block? The CDI? The frame? If I wanted to test/replace it or simply add a ground strap, what should I do?

The new regulator that I installed is fully melted, black goo all over the mounting block. The OEM one I took out has no such damage, and it never made the lights too bright. They would go from normal to very dim in a weird flickering intermittent way. That makes me think the ground is connected but flaky. I at least want to be sure before I move on. Many kind people have suggested the ground as most likely, but I already know that, what I really need to know is how to check the ground and what to do about it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
browns ground yellow is hot. the whole sled is like that.[/b]
Thanks for the response. I have been reading my 1990-1995 Polaris clymer manual even though this sled is a 99, I did find that.

I just put the OEM regulator back in and the lights are back to being very dim. I cleaned all the connections at the regulator. Once again I'm stuck. No idea where to go from here.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Try installing redundant grounds from the motor to the chassis and to the wiring harness ground wire. You can't have too many grounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? I am having similar issues.[/b]
HI MY WIRE DRAWING SHOWS LIGHTING COIL HAS ITS OWN RECTIFIER. HUMM THE STATOR HAS THREE COIL.. ONE FOR BATTERY ,ONE FOR CDI , AND ONE FOR LIGHTING- HANDWARMER-TAILIGHT ECT. . I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. PROBLEY A HOT LEAD OR GROUND CONNECTION GONE BAD..

REAL DIM LIGHTS TILL RPMS UP LOU PS I POSTED THIS BY MISTAKE ALSO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts