Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter, I did some sand pit crawling and when we got on the road my chain went loose and snapped on me, and broke. It was about 300 dollars worth of parts. I couldn't get the chain to go on. We found, about a week ago, that my driveshaft is bent. I was wondering if it was doable myself or if I should take it into a shop. Shop said they would do it for about $150. With the driveshaft and the bearings I have about $400 invested into it. Which option is better, doing it myself or taking it to the shop?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Last winter, I did some sand pit crawling and when we got on the road my chain went loose and snapped on me, and broke. It was about 300 dollars worth of parts. I couldn't get the chain to go on. We found, about a week ago, that my driveshaft is bent. I was wondering if it was doable myself or if I should take it into a shop. Shop said they would do it for about $150. With the driveshaft and the bearings I have about $400 invested into it. Which option is better, doing it myself or taking it to the shop?[/b]

If you're handy with the tools and take your time it no big deal. There's pictures available on the net or better still you get a manual all it will cost is your time.
Look for your machine on this site: http://www.alpha-sports.com/

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
easy job

you can even do it without taking the suspension out :D

I did like that 2 yrs ago

back of sled on stand

loosen track tension all the way

take off speedo cable

take off chaincase cover

remove chain and sprockets

take off the 3 bolts

now go back to the speedo side and take off the 3 other bolts,a 3hole plate will fall onto the shaft

Push driveshaft from speedo side towards chaincase side

it should fall on the speedo side inside the tunnel

go to chaincase side remove the bearing

now back to the speedo side and slide the drive shaft towards you

and VOILA

all done

reverse procedures with new shaft to install

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
easy job

you can even do it without taking the suspension out :D

I did like that 2 yrs ago

back of sled on stand

loosen track tension all the way

take off speedo cable

take off chaincase cover

remove chain and sprockets

take off the 3 bolts

now go back to the speedo side and take off the 3 other bolts,a 3hole plate will fall onto the shaft

Push driveshaft from speedo side towards chaincase side

it should fall on the speedo side inside the tunnel

go to chaincase side remove the bearing

now back to the speedo side and slide the drive shaft towards you

and VOILA

all done

reverse procedures with new shaft to install[/b]
thats hardcore, he even di it out in the snow :cool:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Jake & I did one on Cat 4 stroke in the hotel sled wash up in Cochrane. It was at the SW Canadian tour. No big deal.. just take your time and replace bearings with good quality ones.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
thats hardcore, he even di it out in the snow :cool:[/b]
no garage

have to do most thing outside in the cold ;D

Its not hardcore its just I want to ride instead of waiting for a friend to free up a garage ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts