Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this point when someone on the Yamaha Forums said about how long the 4 strokes would go w/o a valve adj.

My point was how many people keep their sleds for 30,000 miles? The way the sled market & technology is changing, after 3 years the sleds are obsolete to some extent. Look at Yamaha's rear suspension that Snow Sports says is dated on the  RX-1. 5 bucks says next year the RX-1 will have a new rear skid or the REV will have SDI.

Maybe if you plan on keeping the sled for a long time, you can justify the initial purchase price.  Or maybe I'm just a slave to marketing & technology
I usually sell my sled every 3 years.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I ride a 1997 MXZ 670 that has over 10000km on it, I will probably put another 10k on it before I get a new sled. A wife and 3 children put the pinch on the fun.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have 11,000 km and planning to keep it one more year, especially if they come out with a Rev Renegade
 To keep it longer would devaluate it too much even if it's well maintained    

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr670 @ Aug. 16, 2002, 3:44pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A wife and 3 children put the pinch on the fun.[/b][/quote]
Not to badmouth, mr670, but people like him (and I know a lot of sledders who fit that description) that don't put on a lot of miles or klicks on a sled each year aren't going to see the benefits of a sled that supposedly lasts for 30,000 miles (48,000 km).

Example, they keep the sled for 6 years & put it up for sale w/ 9,000 miles on it. This "wonder" sled has a lot of miles left on it, will the resale price be greater than a 6 year old 2 stroke? Will the average buyer pay that much for a 6 year old sled?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I keep flip flopping, but I am pretty cheap so the 98 FIII will probably be around a while longer, I have had it for two seasons and put 6000 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I keep them for as long as it takes for me to get sick of it, no matter what the mileage is wether high or low.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I usually keep my sled till something major breaks.....which always seems to be after about 10k miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
where do all the old sleds go??  like when the last person thats done with it??  do they just bring it to the dump or something.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
heres my theory.....

Some rich guy is buying only the old sleds that are in good condition and storing them in a secret lair for 30 years, he'll bring them back when they are vintage and sell them for more than he bought them for.

But of coarse, I could be wrong and they just seem to get sent to the trash compactor.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have never kept a sled long enough to put 10,000 miles on it but I think I will with this one, what I mean is the wife says no new sled until I pay off my new truck, oh well, I think it will doo it 5,000 miles on it now and has never missed a beat, I don't think I have even fouled a plug yet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have 00ZR600EFI and I have almost 2500 miles on it right now. I just found out that I am going to be a daddy. I am hopping to keep the sled as long as possible. The wife is not due till April so I now I have at least one more season.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I like to do long distance touring.  So when I start loosing faith in my sleds reliablity, its time to trade it in.  

FishHog

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Moneywise I think a sled should be traded or sold outright after 2 years. If you keep the same engine class it will cost around 2 grand to up it to new.I have an 02 and the wifes is a 99. Hers is out of date IMO. I will definatly get her something I like.  

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liked to trade every two years if I could for $1500 or less, Haven't been able to swing a deal like that anymore. I will keep my 99 ZL till the kids leave home, and my new Firecat will depend on if it lives up to the hype.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I don't have a set time or miles limit. I keep one until I've tired of it, it keeps breaking down, or something comes along that I just HAVE to have. I'm very happy with my '02 MXZX 800, but I'm nervously awaiting Doo's introduction of the REV Renegade. I'm thinking I just might have to get one of those!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts