Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 MXZ 600 and it's time for studs. Just wondering what company most of u guys run and how many for the 600cc class. I was planning on going with 144 pics either using Saber Warthog xzp or Woody's traction master. (Both are carbide tipped)
Also what kind of backers do u guys run and how do they hold up. thanks for any info!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would run 120 in that machine myself,this is a choice for your conditions and style.I do however run woodys only.I run 144 in my 700,with allum. backers.you should increase your wear bar carbide as well with studs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with dooman, woody's. I alos run 144 on my 700, but I use steel backers.

FZ700

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put 120 in my 700 and going to do the same in my girlfriends 600.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I put 144 up the middle on my old 01 mxz 600, used woodys and didnt have a single problem. They looked brand new after 4000 miles.

·
Registered
664 Posts
120 or 144. I ran 144 in my 700, you could probably use a little less.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If it was mine I would go 96 down the center. I had a 99 MXZ-600 with 120 which to my liking always made it too tight in the corners. I ran 96 in both my 600 and 700 ZR's for thousands of miles with no issue. Used Woodys studs with their backers and your good to go.

·
Registered
978 Posts
unless you run in very icy conditions, i would suggest to go with 1.25 inch track instead. I use to stud and now i find the bigger lug track the way to go, mind you are trails don't get icy just loose snow or fairly packed.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm with you on that one Kenny, I rode all last season with no studs on a ZR-800 with that very track. Exceptional traction on everything except ice.
:withstupid:

·
Registered
211 Posts
120 right down the middle. Roetin Hornets (expensive though) or Woody's. Use the Fast Trac round plastic backers. I have tried the following studs, and my experience with each:

Roetin: Best around, most expensive
Woody's: Close second, less expensive, they do bend. Never broken one.
Fast Trac: Crap. Break them all the time, loose points, they don't back their warranty very well. They do make awesome backers though...
Saber: So-so.
X-caliber: Crap.

I have tried aluminum round and square backers, steel round and square, and plastic round and square. Round Fast-Tracs are the best. The square ones are fine too, it just takes more patience when installing them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if i go with 120 Roetin hornets and round plastic fast trac backers I should be able to to hook up with no probs. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So up the middle is the way to go. But do I really need 144 to hook up or is it just added weight.
Also I can get 120 Roetin Hornets And fast trac airlite round plastic backers for a total of $267.45 Sound like a good deal to me. But if woody is the better way to go thats what i'll be doing. Might as well do it right the first time, so keep the pro and cons comin.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I really trust woody studs. Will never put anything else on.

As for do you really need 144. Well No but if your an agressive driver 120 could give you some greif and you might get some pulls. I would rather over stud then understud.

Plus it will make for a much safer ride, with great hookup....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So If I go woody's should I go with the modified Gold digger(very pointy) or the gold digger trail.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should I run woody's backers as well or stick with the fast trac plastics. I just did a price check and i can get 144 gold digger trail with round alliminum backer for $322.35... Sound Good?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 mxz 600 and put in 120 woodys studs when ot was new i now hav eover 3500 miles on it and they look like new. It gives you good traction and still allows you to turn eaisly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts