Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got clipped this winter coming around a turn by a guy who took the turn too fast and wide. I contacted my insurance company and gave them the usual accident deposition. I just got a letter from my insurance company that enclosed a letter from this guy's attorney that he has no insurance and he's filing a claim against my insurance company. How are these things settled anyway. No one was hurt. We locked skis and spun.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In Ontario it is mandatory. It is an offence to be off your property in any vehicle without insurance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Too bad it's not like in Quebec, They have a no fault policy. If it's damaged, your own insurance covers it and people can't sue someone for damages. Much simpler  
 Anyway, insurance is so high that I don't know of many who apply. It would cost me over 900$ a yr for full coverage, not worth it. The civil insurance comes with the trail pass so there is less paperwork, you can chose between 500 000$ or 1 million coverage for an additional fee.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
It Saskatchewan it is illegal to ride on crown land without a licence plate with corresponding insurance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well Roton if he's trying to collect from "your" insurance company, he apparently views the fault of the accident a little differnt than you have! Sounds like a bad deal, and no one is going to come out Ok. As much as I hate the stuff (insurance) I would never venture out without it! Costs me about $350.00 a sled each year ouch! Good Luck! DooZ

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
insurance is a rip off but it is a necessary evil and you must carry it here for the liability you might cause another person.
  i was told today insurance is going up for the next 3 years to pay for 9-11. we all know what trauma the 9-11 caused but if a farmer lost his crop to the weather can he charge twice as much next year for his loss to compensate for the crop damage this year ?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
nice point paul.  I'm very glad that I have insurance.  I was debating at the beginning of the year and now the extra $150 is seeming cheap compared to $2700 worth of damages.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I paid around $100 for my plate and the bare minimum coverage that goes with it, and then $225 for all the other coverage (collision, upset, fire, theft, vandalism, bla bla bla). You have to have a minimum of a lisence plate to ride in manitoba, the extra coverage is optional. Sometimes I wonder if its worth it, I've been riding for 6 years (my own sled not dads) and paid out between $200-250 every year for the extra insurance and havent had to use it. Guaranteed
if I didn't get it I would crack up my sled.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I run FULL COVERAGE  

Can never be too safe on the trails.  There is plenty of people out there who are out to make a quick buck.  Insurance fraud is a great way to doo it!  Sleds in the US have very little laws and alot of GREY area.   I also hate insurnce but would NEVER ride with out it  

·
Registered
875 Posts
The way I see it is snowmobiling is the dangerous thing I do.  I even decided to get life insurance parlty due to snowmobiling.  Heaven forbid you clip someone without insurance and you will be may be paying everything you got.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
You only HAVE TO have insurance here if you have a lien on your sled.  Lender requires it.  Full coverage, too, or course.  $1700/yr for me.  Kept me from getting the new sled I wanted.
I see no reason to insure my $500 Phazer.
If I hurt someone and get sued I believe it would draw off my homeowner's policy.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I carry insurance on my sleds/trailer under $400 a year for all, my mxz700, and the wifes g.t. 600,20' haulmark enclosed. one thing nobody has talked about is if you get in a wreck towing your sleds ,they (sleds,trailer) are not going to be covered under your auto,you need sled/trailer coverage.only coverage your trailer has(under your auto policy) is for others personal property and thats only if the trailer stays attached to the auto.if it comes separated it needs its own policy.I know a friend that learned this the hard way and has a big bill ,totaled out 97 t-cat and 99 mach to show for it.he got hit and trailer became separated, no coverage he is paying the people whom had damage from this wreck that was not his fault.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Down here in IL if you belong to a club the state requires you to have liability. $20,000/40,000 minimum.

Wisc has liability coverage to protect the landowners and does not require individuals to carry.

I just got a new quote for full coverage on my 01 and 02 800XC/SP's with $500.00 deductible. It was $230.00 and $265.00.

I've collected a few times over the years. Biggest claim was with two of my sleds when my wife rear ended me. I was stopped. She hit me so hard her bumper was stuck in my sled. I had to put her's in reverse and gun mine to pull them apart. Insurance paid about $3,000.00 on that. (She threatened to quit snowmobiling then but that hasn't happened)

I wouldn't be worried about that guy suing you. That's why you have insurance. Worse that should happen is they drop you. Will probably just raise your premium, that's what they do here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i voted i didn't carry insurance but i carry liability. i have owed a new sled since 1979 and have never carried full coverage. this season it cost me $1600. and i still don't have the cracks in the hood fixed. all the money i've saved over the years i spent this year. i haven't decided if i'll get full coverage for next season yet.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
What does the $1600 refer to? Your insurance premium?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts