Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..I have been riding snowmobiles for years around my cottage on lakes and private roads with no need to have a trail permit and insurance!
This year I have decided that I would like to ride some trails with friends and such...Heres the deal,
Im 25yrs old clean driving record and was wondering how much my insurance will be on my 1996 Mach Z 780cc?
I only want Liability nothing else.
Any insurance companies that you ca recommend will also help,
Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok..I have been riding snowmobiles for years around my cottage on lakes and private roads with no need to have a trail permit and insurance!
This year I have decided that I would like to ride some trails with friends and such...Heres the deal,
Im 25yrs old clean driving record and was wondering how much my insurance will be on my 1996 Mach Z 780cc?
Thanks![/b]
Here in Pa I paid $36.00 for liability only on a 93 580z and a 93 550 Ext. Now, I am 42 years old, clean driving record and a solid credit score. Age, record and credit score really impact the amount you will pay at least here in Pa.

I use Nationwide since they have my vehicles and home owners insurance. Just for ####s and giggles I went on-line to some company that insured snowmobiles and entered my information for a quote. They came back with something like $800.00 :dazed: and told me what a great deal that was... :crazy:

·
Registered
361 Posts
26 years old, perfect driving record, 2006 gsx 800 cc, liability and comprehensive - $450.00 per year

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Thanks![/b]
I think you'll need property damage as well if you hit someone else's buildings fence or vehicles.

Were these lake you were on, surrounded by private property?

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Insurance? Am I supposed to have insurance onmy sled to ride in Michigan? I do not carry any on the snowmobile.

richard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Insurance? Am I supposed to have insurance onmy sled to ride in Michigan? I do not carry any on the snowmobile.

richard[/b]
Every state, I think, requires at minimum liability insurance unless you ride only on your own property.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Every state, I think, requires at minimum liability insurance unless you ride only on your own property.[/b]
I guess I better check into that. I purchased my sled in Michigan last February and do all my riding there and this is the first I heard about needing insurance. The dealer who slod me the sled never mentioned anything about insurance. Here in Florida the states does not require insurance on motorcycles so I thought it would be the same for Michigan for snowmobiles.
Thanks for the heads up.
richard

·
Registered
980 Posts
Michigan does not REQUIRE insurance on a snowmobile.
It is a good idea, but it is not required.

I have liability on mine, but only because I have others ride my stuff and I do not want to be liable for their actions.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Michigan does not REQUIRE insurance on a snowmobile.
It is a good idea, but it is not required.

I have liability on mine, but only because I have others ride my stuff and I do not want to be liable for their actions.[/b]
Oh I see. I'm glad that was cleared up and since I'm the only one riding my sled and only on marked trails I will forgo insurance.

Thanks for the information.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I guess I better check into that. I purchased my sled in Michigan last February and do all my riding there and this is the first I heard about needing insurance. The dealer who slod me the sled never mentioned anything about insurance. Here in Florida the states does not require insurance on motorcycles so I thought it would be the same for Michigan for snowmobiles.
Thanks for the heads up.
richard[/b]
Hey what about riding on the beach at home???? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Hey what about riding on the beach at home???? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:[/b]
You're a funny man Rev-Head.
Richard

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't confuse physical damage with liability insurance. Yes they are on the same policy but do much different things. The question on the floor is for liability only as there is no reason you would be required to carry physical damage by any state (a bank or leinholder may, but not a state or municipality.)

[I'll only speak for PA so check with your local laws- I have no clue about Canada.]
Liability insurance is required if you ride anywhere off of your OWN property. Your relative's land doesn't count- you'd need insurance. Our sleds are also required to be registered and insured because they ARE legal on public roads (not all of course) just like a car, truck, or motorcycle. In PA our registration is $22 for two years....sorry New York guys... If you are not required to have liability insurance on a motorcycle in Florida your legislators are morons. Also, I'd assume since Florida is pretty high on the last list of states for uninsured drivers, I'm sure your Uninsured/Underinsured motorist rates are pretty high as a result. Personally I think if you are involved in a loss and not insured they should haul your a$$ to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I also think carrying minimum limits (in PA they are 15/30k) is also irresponsible.

One more thing and then the insurance guy will get off his box... the prices quoted above will give you a vague idea of the expected cost but you will never know what YOUR cost will be until you quote it through a few companies. YOUR cost will take into account your credit report (if that company uses it,) your history, and your location. I also highly recommend if anyone is carrying physical damage on their sled to NOT add it to your current personal auto policy. I'll admit I'm not following my own advice and am stupid for risking my 15year personal auto experience and excellent loss ratio with my sled being on there. Write it on it's own policy!

EDIT: I see Michigan does not require liability insurance. I suggest someone verify that. If you are not required to carry liability insurance I'm afraid your legislators are morons too especially with the vast trail network you guys have. Think of that guy that flys around the corner and hits your wife or kid........

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am a car guy, not an insurance guy, so I need an insurance guy to back me up for certain, but I have been riding in MI for 20 years and have never been told that insurance is a requirement. I understand that if there is a loan on the sled, the bank will require full coverage to cover the value of the sled, but since MI is a no fault state, I am pretty sure that liability insurance is only a recommendation, not a requirement.

Welcome to our sue happy state.

Can anyone clarify this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Up here in Canada you dont need insurance if your riding on private property or lakes (I have been doing this for years!)
But like I said, its getting boring driving over the same area a million times, so I would like to venture out and hit the trails!
But I dont ant to spend a ton of money..
Trail pass $180
trailer $300
registration $ not sure yet
Insurance $ No sure yet
Gear $not sure yet
How long the winter wll last.....Not sure! Hopefully for the price of the season...A LONG TIME!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a car guy, not an insurance guy, so I need an insurance guy to back me up for certain, but I have been riding in MI for 20 years and have never been told that insurance is a requirement. I understand that if there is a loan on the sled, the bank will require full coverage to cover the value of the sled, but since MI is a no fault state, I am pretty sure that liability insurance is only a recommendation, not a requirement.

Welcome to our sue happy state.

Can anyone clarify this?[/b]
Read the post directly above yours and the answer will be right there!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
fromwithin, you never answered my question, are the lakes you're talking about private? Otherwise I think you're mistaken if you think you don't need insurance to sled on a lake. AFAIK, you need to have the sled registered, be a licensed driver (either G class or MSV operators) & have insurance once you are off your own property in Ontario.

Being in an accident w/o insurance is a easy way to financial ruin.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Read the post directly above yours and the answer will be right there![/b]
Actually, the post above mine from joezr2 (obviously an insurance guy) was referring to PA law.
He even said that should be checked,

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, I'll take a look today and check for you michigan folks. Liability insurance is cheap compared to someone suing you and taking your house and other assets. Please don't ride without it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts