Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my AMSOIL series 2000 chaincase oil today. Its a 12oz. bottle. How much should I use?? Should I dump the whole bottle in there??

·
Registered
111 Posts
:0: NO,your chaincase should have a dipstick,w/a magnet on the end that's in the case,check the level and wipe off the metal shavings on the magnet,fill to level on the stick,should only need a few oz.,also,it's prob.a good time to drain the case and check the gears and chain out,clean out the old oil and gunk,put in new oil ;) ,good choice on the brand :thumbsup: ,amsoil works great,good luck! SWRules

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry yellosled,I was typing as you posted,good advice though, :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If its in the Cat, It calls for 8 but says that anything over that is still fine. Just not under 8. I think I probably ended up with 10 in mine. It's kinda hard to judge.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm with these guys. Read your manual, and use the dip stick.

I belive you have a doo, and I think they are all the same, and call for 8oz, but use the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I do agree, Use the dipstick, but if you go over, I don't really think its a big deal. If someone knows different, please let me know, cause I will drain some out if it is.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Actually, you can have too much oil in there. That's why they have a min and max level on the dipstick.

The oil is needed to lubricate the gears and the chain. It also helps wash off any little filings. If you have too much oil in there, the gears would have more resistance as they are turning and the engine would have to work harder. Think of swinging your arms around in a circle like a windmill. Now think about doing this under water. Usually the oil level in gearboxes is set below the shaft and below the point of engagement so that less than half the gear rides in the oil.

If the oil level is too high, the gears will agitate the oil more and stir up the filings and stuff that would otherwise sit on the bottom, therefore increasing the likelyhood of them damaging the chain and gears.

I would also tend to think that it would have more of a tendency to overheat with too much oil.

It your a little over, I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't just dump in the whole bottle.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by jacqui583@Oct 30 2002, 03:59 PM
Actually, you can have too much oil in there. That's why they have a min and max level on the dipstick.

The oil is needed to lubricate the gears and the chain. It also helps wash off any little filings. If you have too much oil in there, the gears would have more resistance as they are turning and the engine would have to work harder. Think of swinging your arms around in a circle like a windmill. Now think about doing this under water. Usually the oil level in gearboxes is set below the shaft and below the point of engagement so that less than half the gear rides in the oil.

If the oil level is too high, the gears will agitate the oil more and stir up the filings and stuff that would otherwise sit on the bottom, therefore increasing the likelyhood of them damaging the chain and gears.

I would also tend to think that it would have more of a tendency to overheat with too much oil.

It your a little over, I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't just dump in the whole bottle.

Jacqui.
:withstupid: Yep, I agree.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:withstupid: Yep, I agree.

You cant' really get that overfilled otherwise it will come out the dipstick hole.

Robb

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, thnx guys! yellosled, i already did take the cover off a while ago, and i dropped a tooth on the top gear, and cleaned it all out in there, so its ready to be dumped in, when i get it back this weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is ALWAYS BEST to remove the cover of teh chain case and drain completely and clean gears etc. with some brake parts cleaner. Read your manual as it will give you the EXACT specs as to how much oil. Should be around 8 to 8.5 ounces. Double check it with the dip stick. AMSOIL is the BEST OIL OUT THERE! Great choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts