Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading forums about weights/springs

I started researching from the powerplant.

engine/to the primary clutch/secondary/track shaft/track.

Engine rpms rise.which creates the primary clutch to spin faster and the secondary tightens upon the belt creating the track shaft to spin and so on.

just wondering what the weights / springs do to the clutches to better performance?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The weights/spring in the primary clutch control how fast the clutch engages the belt as well as how fast it shifts the belt outward. The stiffer the spring, the higher engine RPM it takes to engage. The heavier the weights, the faster the belt will shift outward. Lighter weights require more RPM to shift out. It all works on centrifugal force.

The stiffness of the spring in the secondary controls how fast the belt shifts. The stiffer the spring, the quicker it will backshift when the RPM's go down (good for low end torque, but robs top end) and visa versa.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Think in principles...only...

Clutching Principle
Spring "start force" the value of the spring in lbs. when it is installed
Spring "final force" The amount of force when the clutch is at full shift

Clutching Principle
"Flyweight determines rpms"
*If; Then- Result
*Need less rpms; Increase flyweight mass
*Need more rpms; Reduce flyweight mass

Aaen's an excellent read...I keep one in the bathroom always...I also got this link bookmarked
While it speaks mainly about Ski Doo clutches the "principles" are the same. That site belongs to a member here. I use his products and have numerous conversations with Joey both on the phone and in emails. He knows his chit !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts