Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my sled is far from shifting out fully and I believe it is hurting performance. Does anyone know what clutch components affect this and how to increase shift out. Can I adjust this with clutching or how else do I go about it, gearing?. Ringht now I am about 1.5" from the top of the primary and I would like to be around .75".
Also if I do go ahead with gearing it for a little more power what affects will this have on my clutches settings for peak rpm (up, down, and estimates on what to expect)

As always any replies are appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gearing will surely help. The first thing I'd do is to remove belt, take off the drive clutch and remove the spring. Lay the belt (new belt is best) as it would normally set with clutch sheaves closed and see how far the belt is mechanically capable of reaching the top. Check for any freeplay or worn parts. Do the same with the driven and make sure both clutches are clean and do not lube moving parts. With clutches back on, in proper alignment and belt deflection, see now if belt comes up in clutch as it should. All this is just basic stuff, without knowing what mods you have or exact set-up you using.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Take the clutch springs out and re-install the clutches on the sled and manually move the sheaves to a full shift position and see if there is anything holding the belt at that diamater. If you can manually shift out the clutches beyond what the sled is doing while riding it, than the problem is too much load on the engine while running. Anything from cluch alignment, suspension effeciency (hyfax, idlers, etc...) chassis alignment, track drag, etc... can play a role.

If the clutch "bottoms out' at the same spot, then work with what component is holding it back.

Also, secondary clutch springs can coil bind and not allow full shift either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How high should the belt sit in the primary when shifted out and how low in the secondary? My belt is leaving around .500 of marker on the top after 150 miles with 6 lake runs included in these miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also pull ok to about 80 mph and after that it falls flat. It takes me forever to get it up to 95. Did anyone do any clutching on a dragon 700? What results? I also had every update done to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
full shift out will bring the belt all the way to the top of the primary.if you are running stock setup you may want to go to a heavier weight spring combothat will grab the belt a little harder also a secondary spring with more force will help to stop the belt from slipping. is there any rubber on the sheaves? primary or secondary?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts