Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newly purchased 99 zrt. never had a sled with reeds before and wondering how to take care of them. Ive heard you have to clean them. what do you use? do you take them off the motor to do so ? If you do is there anything i have to look out for? and the same for installing them? thanks

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I have never heard of anyone cleaning their reeds.  Are you thinking of cleaning the powervalves(APV) or something?  What you do need to do is regularly inspect your reeds for cracks or chips, especialy if you have aftermarket reeds.  To do so, remove your airbox and then pull your carbs.  your reed cage is directly behind the carbs.  Just pull them and inspect them every thousand miles or so to be safe.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Just noticed you have a '99, so you must not be thinking of the powervalves then....haha
Did a dealer tell you to clean the reeds or what?  Just curious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have seen my stock reeds in my '95 ZRT 800 go 12000 miles with no problems, my sons went 13000 without problems.  Then he bought a ZRT with v-force reeds and the didn't go 3000 miles until one of them broke.

·
Registered
91 Posts
dont need to clean em. just check em once and a while to make sure they are there and not broke off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Don't all sled's have reeds?  Two stroke sleds that is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, there is 3 different types of 2 strokes.  Piston port, rotary valve and reed valve.  Piston port relys on the piston skirt to close off the intake port, the height of the port deterimines port timing or duration the port is open.

·
Registered
533 Posts
oh ya, never thought about the rotax!

I don't believe that piston port is used on snow machines anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey phazerhater how do you get to that boyseens website? every time i punch that in it draws up a blank
 thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts