Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck came with a Reese hitch and wiring harness, but I've never hauled anything. I might be picking up a sled on Saturday, but the plug on the wiring harness (the part you plug the trailer end into) is all corroded. How do I clean it out? or should I just buy a new one?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I would just replace the plug end. If you don't want to do that spray it with Fluid Film or even WD40. You'll want to scrape away as much corrosion off as possible as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Scrape away as much corrosion as you can, use sandpaper if you have to, spray it with WD-40, then lube it up with dielctric grease or vasaline.  I rolled the sandpaper up as small as I could get it and stuck into the holes.  I works o.k. now.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Baking soda and water will remove a lot of the corrusion.  Finish it off with a wire brush and wd-40

newf

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
For the $5.00 in parts,the 15 min and 2 beers it will take you i'de put a new one on.Get one with the cap that fits over the end and fill er full of dialetric grease.Nothing worse than screwing around with trailer wiring in -20 weather on a friday night that you should have been on the road for hours already.

·
Registered
167 Posts
realy these plugs are very cheap and easy to install that is realy the best because if the is already corrodeded it will only corrode again all the wd40 in the world will not stop it

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you dont buy a new one.  Use the baking soda and water method.  Then put some electrical grease on it.  If I were you I would buy a new one.  You will have a better connection, and it will last longer.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
greenstreak,
 i've used the spray on wheel cleaner and then the terminal spray cleaner in a quick pinch, you will have to keep grease on it after that because now it will corode quick.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would just buy a new one , they are pretty simple to install

1 - 12 of 12 Posts