Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called my dealer and he said you have to be a racer to get an MXZX 440 LC, so how do i go about getting one??

·
Registered
282 Posts
You have to fill out a race application (dealer has them or they are on the Ski Doo webpage) and send it to the Ski Doo race dept. but I believe the application deadline has already passed so you most likely won't be able to get one unless you find a racer that got a couple of them and are looking to sell one.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Why is doo only selling them to racers?  Its basicly a sno pro which everyone can get, right?  Seems they would be better off and sell more if they opened up to the public, or does it have allot of secret goddies on it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
every company is only selling there race sleds to racers.  you cant get a pro x 440 unless you are a racer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Doo, Cat, and Polaris sell them to racers that they pick through the race application process. I know with Polaris dealers are able to get something like 1 race sled for every 100 units they order. I don't believe Cat or Doo offer the same program to the dealers. I think alot of Polaris dealers will back off ordering the Pro X models because there was alot of dealers that were stuck with left over racers. They weren't set up for trail use this year like in the past (no oil injection, High compression heads, and 5 gallon fuel tank).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i agree with that, my favorite all time race sled is the 2001 PRO X 440 LC, my friend has one, and i LOVE that thing.  but he beat the holy #### out of it, so im not buying it off him, even though he wants me too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is what I raced the last two seasons and you are right it is a great sled but I just sold mine. My buddy has the same sled but only has 300 miles on it and the sled has never been raced. Not a single flaw in it and now he wants to sell it! Says he is taking a couple years off.  

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, one of my good friends might have to take year off of sledding  
.  the lobstering is just not good enough to afford sleds and everything.  but i think i might sell him my MX Z, because im getting a new sled.  that might help him out a bit.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The 95 MXZ 440 I had was sold to both the public & racers. It was set up with oil injection. The rear shocks were a bit stiff for my liking, so I had the dealer revalve them. That year I guess Ski-doo built as many sleds as they had orders for.

What year did the MXZ 440 go premix?

Do the factories build more than the ISR requirement of 500 sleds? If they only build 500 maybe they only want them in the hands of racers. They don't want to waste all that engineering expertise on us peons.

Mind you during the winter of 2001 in Hornepayne, Ontario we saw a 2001 with no racing stickers on it. The thing must have been a pig on gas. It had a "Tour Buddy Equipped" sticker on the tunnel & a chain saw gas can strapped to each side. The dealer sticker was a dealer in Wyoming (?) Ontario, somewhere
northwest of London.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sledcrazy, phone around to a few different dealers and see if they can do something for you, never know someone could have backed out, and if not then, maybe when winter comes someone will and the dealer will remember you.      worth a try anyway.
you will prolly have to travel a bit to find one though, i had to travel 8 hours one way to find a 2001 in decent shape.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Skidoo picks their racers from the resumes they receive.  What ever sleds left over go to dealers for the dealers to sell to the public.  Like mentioned above, sometimes a racer get approved for one and backs out.  The dealer is allowed to sell that sled also to the public.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Sorry Greenstreak, but after the MXZX went to the S chassis, they removed the oil pump & went to some odd premix ratio 32:1 (?) I might be wrong on the ratio  

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Almost every Polaris dealer around has a pro-X on there floor. I only know of one that didn't as of two months ago. So if you want one call around. Caleb

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sledcrazy, don't rule out the 2002 and older Zx 440's, i only ever went through one short trail with mine(engine is making [email protected], so wouldn't last too long trail riding), and those thing are fun.   and for the prices they sell them used, they are just as good.      not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but i heard these things don't carry much if any warranty, might be one thing to think about, cause you are buying a factory racer that is really only designed to stand up to short blasts on a Snow-X track.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AS FAR AS GETTING A POLARIS 440 PRO X (NEW) THAT IS ABOUT THE EASIEST THING POSSIBLE, LOCAL DEALER WHICH I AM BUYING MY 03' 440 FROM SAID THEY ARE ORDERING ABOUT 11 AND SAID THEY WILL HAVE A FEW LEFT AT THE FALL THEY ORDERED ABOUT 150+ SLEDS LAST YEAR

·
Registered
282 Posts
What dealer is getting 11 Pro X racers? I know Heinen & Mason in Osseo, MN usually gets a bunch but thye almost got stuck with a few this year. I know Polaris usually allows 1 Pro X racer for every 100 units the dealer orders. That has always been the policy in the past but might have changed. I think Polaris will be going more the route of limiting them to the public and getting more of them to actual racers. I know last year there was quite a few racers that didn't get one on the race program. I didn't because the sled wasn't designed for cross country racing and that is what I used to concentrate on. The told the shop the does my suspension work last July to inform all their terrain racers to keep there '01 race sleds. I was pretty upset that I got turned down and then found about twenty of the '02 race sleds at dealers in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. I felt they should offered more of them to the racers if there was that many to go around. I spoke to Bill Raider with the race dept. a few months ago and he informed that they allocate a set amount of sleds for each type of racing and last year they didn't set very many aside for the terrain racers and that was why I didn't get one. I ran snocross all winter last year and he told me that I most likely will get one this year so I am waiting for June 15th to roll around and see for sure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
actually the sled i REALLY want is a 2001 PRO X 440.  my friend who races has one, and i LOVE that thing.  i wish i could get one brand new, but i would settle for one with low miles and NO RACE MILES.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts