Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, here comes what may be a stupid question.  Last weekend I went riding with a group of friends.  There was (3) '00 XC 500 SP, (1) '02 Viper, (1) '97 Vmax 700 triple, and me with a '00 ZR 600.  These other guys are more experienced riders then me, and I admit are probably better riders.  We rode 30+ miles of what I would call nothing but whoops.  After the first 10 miles it got real old, and I was ready for a smooth trail, no such luck!  However the others in the group did not seem to mind because they rode just as fast the last mile as they did the first!  Speeds of 50+ MPH (it was a straight old railroad bed).  Now here is my questions.  How do they do it?  Do you think they were in the same condition as me and were not complaining?  Do you guys have any reccomendations on how to ride this stuff?  Can a guy ride it standing up (assuming you had raised handle bars)?  Would the fact that my rear is not coupled and theirs are make any difference?

Okay let'er fly... hit me with the insults.  This should be fun.  I am glad that my riding friends don't read these posts!  They would be relentless!

Thanks

Maxwell

·
Registered
394 Posts
first get an 02 sled with coupled suspension.  On my 02 800 I sit up on the tank and drop the hammer.  The faster the sled skips the bumps the better.  60+ mph no problem.  My 98 600 zr was a different story until I added an AD Boivin coupling kit.  Definately the way to go.  It is about suspension setup.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont know what to tell you except for sit as close to the tank as possible.  Other then that you have to figure out the best way to go accros.

·
Registered
404 Posts
ArTeeCat hit the nail on the head, sit up close and have coupled suspension.  I was in the same position the other day, and with the 02 ZR 600 (coupled) I have, it handled it very well, actually like night and day compared to my 97 580.
I have to admit though, even with the coupled suspension, after a given amount of miles it gets OLD fast, real fast!

BTW - thanks for spring info

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Get to the front and hit the hammer or fall back way back then let her have it before you know it you will be skipping the tops and you will get to the end.

·
Registered
416 Posts
On the throttle or real slow, depends on the expierience of the rider. Whatever you feel comfortable with

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
For me, the faster you go=the smoother the ride.  Rather than actualy hitting every bump, you just kinda skip over the tops of them.  If you are in the tight twisties and can't go fast safely, stand up and take 'em slow....

·
Registered
91 Posts
The most important part is to stay loose, dont fight the sled on every bump.  Let it move under you.  The stiffer shocks like on the ZR also work better under those conditions, the harder ya pound em the better they perform.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, you guys are right. I have to say the one thing I realy find I liked this year was riding the gas tank! When the conner to conner trails got rouf, I just sat up on the tank, and drove it! It was amazing. Tanks is not as soft. But deffenitly softens the blows!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, except on the nuggets when you whack that one nasty bump hiding in the trail.  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
once i get enough of the whoops i find a way around it, call me lazy.  

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hard work may pay off in the end but laziness always pays off now. Thats the motto I live by. Of course the wife hates it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My bud has a 00 ZR 600 Morgan special. I've got a Sno Pro. So, riding his sled with the narrow running boards really bugs me. What I hate is the smooth rolled edge on the running boards; it's real easy to slip off.  Nevertheless, there are a lot of things you can do to expand your sled's ability to handle prolonged woopin' trails. Here's what I would do if I had your sled and couldn't afford to go with the new 02 chassis.

1. Get a riser block for you handlebars so you can do standup style riding. This is a must in my opinion. This will allow you to let your legs do some of the work your back is doing when you sit.
2. Get a grippy set of rails to attach to the smooth rolled edge of the running boards.
3. Look at how the Sno-X racers put screws up through the bottom of their running boards and duplicate it. This mod will really help your boots from slipping on those narrow boards. Make sure to keep the outter side of the rolled running board edge smooth so you don't rip you boots, bibs, or legs up if you slip off the board.
4. The firmer you adjust your rear skid, the better the woops seem to be taken. Make sure not to adjust your front arm shock too much. That's an adjustment that can really affect sled handling.

Here are techniques that I use to work the woops.

1. Like the others have stated find the balance point of your sled, sitting or standing and let that pendulum effect the sled exibits work for you. I notice if you cross your body across that pendulum point, you can last way longer. Like others have said, let the entire sled float under your body as it works the woops. Keep your feet planted in the footwells, your arms loose and your hands firm enough so you won't have the handlebars pulled from your hands.
2. I discovered this last season on some really bad woops. Plant one foot in the footwell and the other just outside the footwell, maybe a bit further back. As you push into the footwell, you can use the other leg to stabilize your body as the sled rocks. Alternate feet as needed.
3. For somewhat slow woop riding using standup style, use your legs to follow the woop down and anticipate the upward part of the woop and let your knees articulate with the upward movement. Don't wait for the shock of that upward movement. Use it. It's working if you notice that the rear of the sled is not being affected by your weight; like your floating on the sled as it rises out of the woop. It will really build your thigh muscles; also, lean a bit forward as you do and stand more straight as speed increases. I use this a lot on uphill climbs that are really woopy. On steep hills, I'm actually leaning over the hood.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When riding fast over the woops never ride on your knee. I learnd my lesson once and got bucked off.
A bunch of people saw me.  

·
Registered
657 Posts
So far everyone is right,the fast=smooth over the woops.My other suggestion would be to find smoother trails.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts