Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my POS clutch puller and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to rig one. I have limited tools and will end up having to get another puller anyway, but just curious if anyone has any tricks that work. ???

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
new sled new puller. would hate to have to try to get a clutch off with something rigged. there are many ways of doing it that i can think off, but i would stick with the right puller for the right job.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actualy trying to pull the clutch on my zert. The guy that bought it wants it stock and I have everything changed back accept for the weights and primary spring. ??? It doesn't have to be pretty, I just want something that works so I can finish this thing tonight and get it out of my garage. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I have never tryed this but they say it works like a charme. If you have a grease gun pump grease into the bolt hole about half full or so. Use a std. bolt with the same threads as the clutch puller (forgot the size) and crank it in. I use a cut off hocky stick handle to keep the clutch from rotating. Good luck!

Auggie

PS: When you get a tough one tighten the puller as much as you dare then use a propane tourch on the drive belt side of the stationary scheve. Slowely rotate the clutch and keep your hands clear because they come off with a bang.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Use the right tool for the job. What if you break something. Think you can still sell it then?

just my two cents

newf :doh:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I wouldn't try to rig it. The good pullers are hardened steel. I had one made out of cold rolled steel and it didn't hold up very long. I learned and got a good one now. The local dealer probably has one in stock.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Oct 15 2002, 06:26 AM
Well, I have never tryed this but they say it works like a charme. If you have a grease gun pump grease into the bolt hole about half full or so. Use a std. bolt with the same threads as the clutch puller (forgot the size) and crank it in. I use a cut off hocky stick handle to keep the clutch from rotating. Good luck!

Auggie

PS: When you get a tough one tighten the puller as much as you dare then use a propane tourch on the drive belt side of the stationary scheve. Slowely rotate the clutch and keep your hands clear because they come off with a bang.
I like that. That's a pretty good idea for other stuff too. And its not really rigging, its more like injenuity. (spelling) Sound it out. :hallo09:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A former buddy of mine also tried filling the end with grease and cranking in a standard bolt. It looked and sounded like a good idea, too bad the non graded bolt gathered threads and broke off in the end of the crank. In hindsight the puller was a bargain.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't get around to finishing it last night anyway, so I'll just pick up a new one today after work.
Thanks for the ideas though. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
PH, can't you just pull the outer cover off then change the springs and ramps leaving the inner sheave on the crank??

·
Registered
884 Posts
:withstupid: I was thinking the same thing. It is a lot easier to do with the Clutch out, but in a pinch you can do it while the Clutch is in the sled by taking the outer cover off.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, but I was going to take it all apart and clean everything for the new owner while I was in there and show him how to do it himslef. I need a new puller anyway, and he needs to learn how to work on this stuff himself. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts