Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the 2002 catalog and found a picture of the Mountain Cats with their tall mountain style bars.  How high are they?  Do you folks think they would be suitable for replacing my current std. bars?  (for a standing style of riding)  Could they be to high?  I know that there have been other posts whereby others here have used 98 Sno Pro bars, and that may be the way to go also.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Maxwell

·
Registered
134 Posts
I see Paul has never rode with mountain bars because there's a world of difference between them and anything your probably used to on the trail.  For one thing they are much taller (for use riding stand up or on a knee) leaving your arms hanging and exposed to the wind more.  For hard powder riding they can't be beat, but thumbs down on the trail.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
akassasan,
 i think the moto bars would be great, i started with motocross bikes and i think standing on a sled is the way to go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Paul, read his post again, he doesn't ask about the motocross style bars at all.  He asks about the new high mountain handlebars found on the 02 mountain cats.
I own 3 cats all with different bars; elkhorn style trail riding on my 96 panther- motorcross style on my 99 powder special- high mountain style on my 2002 MC 800.  The very first thing I noticed was that the new one would take some getting used to. (this is due to thier extreem hight) I've grown to love them for hard riding off the trail and in the mountains but they plain suck for trail riding long distance.  Just imagine putting "ape hangers" from a chopper on your dirt squirt!  

·
Registered
134 Posts
I forgot to add, the best thing to do would be to see some one with them when your out riding and ask to ride a short way with them.  You'll know exactly what I'm trying to say....good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
we put a set of Renthal alluminum atv bars on my buddies edgex, it works well standing and sitting. Just the right height.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I put a set of Sno Cross Bars with Hooks and a 1" riser, and will be putting on my strap soon. A 2" riser would be more suited for standup riding, the 1" makes a good compromise, especially since the cables and lines are not as long as a factory Mountain cat. I sat on the new MC and would like to have a set on my sled, if they were about 1" shorter. Sometimes you will not stand, then you ride with your hands up in the air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts