Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with the Harley place in Birch Run, MI today and he still has a 2006 Polaris 550 (I think) with reverse and electric start available with full warranty. He will also throw in a new 2007 Triton 2-place snowmobile trailer all for the low low price of just $5,000 plus tax.
I think this appears to be a good deal would'nt you say?

Richard
Florida snowmobiler

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I would run away from the 550 fan from Poo

go look in the Poo forum

nothing but problems yr after year

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Find an Indy 500 488fuji LC

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Like I said go read the poalris forum or any other Polaris forum on other sites

Year after year Polaris has tried to fix the problems

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The 550 is an awesome sled.
When they switched to the roller clutch the gas milage dropped big time, but it's always been a very reliable and peppy little motor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 550 is a worthless engine in the utility/touring sleds.

In the XCF/ RMK 550 it was pretty good, but in those constant throttle position situations (i.e. touring style riding) it just blows up.

I would run, not walk, away.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
being an 06 I would expect a better price myself. the 06 I am planning on buying is an 800 renegade ,no trailer I know , is only about $1200 more. the triton trailer in open form can be found for $850 new.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got to tell you, after reading all the posts and Polaris information about the 550, I will chose another sled, perhaps another Arctic Cat like my Z570LX, but it will not be the Polaris 550.
Thanks for the information and this is why I LOVE THIS BOARD. I can get all sorts of opinions and actual stories and events of people and their sleds.
Richard

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I've got to tell you, after reading all the posts and Polaris information about the 550, I will chose another sled, perhaps another Arctic Cat like my Z570LX, but it will not be the Polaris 550.
Thanks for the information and this is why I LOVE THIS BOARD. I can get all sorts of opinions and actual stories and events of people and their sleds.
Richard[/b]
If you're going to stay away from a sled because of stories about blowing up motors, stay away from the 570. Famous for turning a ring and taking out a very expensive nikasil lined cylinder.

Seriously, if there's a reason to stay away from the Polaris it's because Polaris stupidly neglected to put their entry level motor in their brilliant new chassis. The Edge was a nice ride in it's day, but once you try the IQ there's simply no going back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts