Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 01 mxz 700 Adreneline I loosened the shock tension when I summerized it, the shocks were sprayed w/wd-40. Now I can't adjust the tension back where it was. The collar won't turn. I have removed the shock, took the spring off. The number plate is not binding it spins freely. Right now the top of the collar is just below the # 1 setting. I even had a small oil filter wrench on the collar trying to turn it both ways, no luck. I tried a small amount of heet to the collar no luck. It's out of warranty now. How can I get it to move? :angry:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Never ever add heat to a shock! :nervous: Depending how much heat you applied, you might want to go buy another shock. Those shocks are made out of aluminum. Aluminum distorts and warps easily when heat is applied. Not to mention the gas that is inside!
Anyways, next time try a wack load of lube and a whole lotta muscle. It will eventually move!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've found the easiest way to adjust shocks on them is to have no
weight on the sled.Have the end you are adjusting lifted off the ground.
I have arms like tree trunks and there are some i can't turn to tighten preload while it is sitting on the ground.Hope this helps ya ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
:withstupid: ,once the weight is off the front and it still doesnt turn,chances are your threads are messed up

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had this happen to one of my hpg rebuildables. It was like the collar was welded to the shock
no amount of lube helped .I was fortunate though because it was still under warranry. I brought
it to the dealer and they replaced it no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Guys, he said he has the shock out and the spring is even off!
Put it in a vice and put the biggest pipe wrench on it that you can find. If that don't break it loose, have your Grandmother try, wussie!
Seriously, sounds like you're probably s.o.l.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Had the same problem last winter...both front shocks. Removed the shocks, sprayed triflow on them, then used a strapwrench. The threads were damaged, but i didn't have to replace the shocks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to my Doo dealer today and he said that ski-doo had that problem, First the adjuster will be hard to turn, then it will not turn either way. In 2002 they went with a plastic collar to eliminate this problem. I might as well get both sides taken care of. They recomend carefully cutting the collar off then run a die down the shock to clean up the threads. By the way I used very little heat on the collar only, not the shock I was still able to hold the shock by hand.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Don't buy a die for chasing the threads. You can buy a tool from a tool supply store that is universal. You'll be able to use on other threads.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Revrnd, What exactly is this tool called? About how much are they?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by mudweiser@Oct 15 2002, 12:16 AM
I spoke to my Doo dealer today and he said that ski-doo had that problem,  First the adjuster will be hard to turn, then it will not turn either way. In 2002 they went with a plastic collar to eliminate this problem.
I had the same problem and yes doo did have a problem. Started in 2000. It is best to lift the sled off the ground when making any front shock adj. But as you said was fixed when doo went to the plastic collar. :doh:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by DaYoopers@Oct 14 2002, 10:20 PM
Buy a thread file to clean them up.
Any tool supply store should have them or Snap-On/Mac/Matco guy.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I imagine that aluminum collar was a different grade of alum than the shock (i.e. one is 6061 and one is 7075). This causes big problems when you deal with a nut-bolt type situation like that. Threads lock up and you're SOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts