Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a hps stinger on their 800 doo? i was wondering how they compared to the mbrp soundwise. HPS claims this can will add 4-5 hp. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since the canister IS a part of the exhaust, we must remember that any changes to it will cause changes in power. The reason why nobody really notices any power increases when you instal just a can is because most companies put more of their research into the actual pipe because this is where you can make up most of your power. The companies make the cans as simple and as light as possible. A guy that I know called Rich Daly at Dyno Port and that is what he told him.
Most aftermarket cans are very similar to stock just minus the weight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hardcore and pimped out,
your lesson in physics is helpful to some, but really I hope most people do only buy silencers for weight savings and or sound. And I dissagree that more research is put into the pipes, because forever now pipe builders have been trying to understand how the factory silencers can perform as weel as they do, yet be so quiet. Tons of R&D go into silencers

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well I dont know of anyone who bought a can for power. Its weight savings and sound. If you bought it for power, your gonna be disappointed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought one for my 700. This thing is practically a work of art and I've heard nothing but good about them. Haven't tried it yet as there is not enough snow in them thar hills.

I decided to go with the HPS after seeing and hearing one on their website. I have a MBRP can on a 97 Summit and it is nice too. My kid had a 95 XLT triple and he said my 97 Summit sounded like a Honda generator. I had to do something!

·
Registered
45 Posts
As for the noise,

Some guys carry their stock can in their pickup in case they are going someplace where noise is an issue or where regulations stipulate stock exhaust. It's a quick change over.

We definitely should be sensitive to other's concerns or we will face ever more restrictions.

And I agree, there is a hypocrisy about Harleys' noise is ok, and Sleds' noise isn't.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
"And I agree, there is a hypocrisy about Harleys' noise is ok, and Sleds' noise isn't."

Isn't this the truth, I love any kind of motorsports but these Hogs go by my house in the country all summer long! The sound rattles my windows and shakes the ground, but try to upgrade your sleds exhaust and they are closing a trail somewhere.

·
Registered
310 Posts
LOL :D

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
How much lighter is a mbrp can, than a fatory suitcase, on a 02 mxz700. putting one on in a week or two. Any noticable power increase?

Also you never see a Harley getting ticketed for loud exhaust :cussing:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think its 5-7lbs lighter. AWESOME sound, no power improvement. They may say 1-2hp tho.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
How is the trail can compared to the race can, just looking for less weight and a nice race tone, not to wake the dead :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts