Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on changing hyfax for a 2000 MXZ 600. Was bought used with 112 miles on it. Didn't need to change them last year. I'm trying to get ready for this season. I'm not sure if I will have to drop the track/suspension or can widden one of the windows on the track. I know the Artic Cats and Polaris have widder windows which help in the change out. Any ideas, tips. etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The right way to do it is to drop the whole rear skid and put them on, But if need to save time you can pull them through the track windows with a little WD40, some vice grips, by twisting them.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Do a search of the site. There have been a few discussions on which way is better ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is only ONE way to do it! THE RIGHT WAY! Do not mickey mouse anything on a sled. Take the suspension out, put it upside down on a bench and replace them properly. While you are at it, this is a good time to inspect the suspension fully and fix or replace anything that is not right!

Dont forget to grease everything!

:cussing: I hate people who mickey mouse stuff! If you are not going to do it right, why do it at all!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's more work to pull the skid out but if you got no snow yet it's the best way to find other problems that might show up when you do have snow get my point?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with everyone , pull the skid out its really not that hard and than give the whole skid
a good going over. Check for cracks,bad bearings, seized shafts bad shocks etc. It is worth the
time. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
WOW .... lol thats a lot of work. i change mine every year cause i run on asphalt and i have to take them out. i reinstall them when the skid is out to change the track but some of time i have done it on a sunday and the dealer was closed so i just put the slidders back in latter.slide them thru the windows.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Machz69, what type of track are you using? I hope not a bombardier track!
Any time you have to force something, possible damage can occur. I hope your track windows are the wide ones!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for help and ideas. I'm going to try and drop the skid this weekend and change them out. Lets just hope for snow now. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
While we're on the subject, how does everyone reinstall the SC10 skid?
I usually struggle to line the holes up, but sometimes it just goes right in,
and I can't remember what I did different.

·
1,327 Posts
Wow, I didn't think that many people pull the whole skid out to change the hyfax.

I did three sleds last weekend(95 Formula Z, 94 VMAX and a 91 Phazer)

I just loosened the track and pulled them through the windows.

Took about 20 minutes each and I have never had an problems doing it this way.

Did my dads thundercat 2 weeks ago as well, under 10 minutes to remove and replace them. The windows on the Cat seem a bit wider than the other tracks. Remember, WD-40 is your friend

DP

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dont usually have a problem getting the skid back in, but if I do, one thing that works really well. Take an old waist belt(out of your closet) or a piece of rope and compress the skid then tie it down. This should make it easier to put back in!

·
Registered
110 Posts
just take it out and take a look around. I pulled my skid to find my shocked needed to be rebuilt and I also replaced 7 bearings and cleaned the ACM. I is going to feel like a new sled now after all that work. way worth it for the trails. :hallo8: thease things are cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts