Snowmobile World banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here Is story from soo paper thought you folks would like also you can go to the 500 website all results. must been cold there Is all I can say ?
SAULT STE. MARIE - With three snowmobiles battling for the lead, and more than 100 laps left on Saturday, it was the falling snow and race officials determining the outcome of the 39th running of the International 500 Snowmobile Race.

Chad Gueco of Wasilla, Alaska celebrated his first victory and the second consecutive win for the four-stroke Yamahas when the race was officially canceled at 6:42 p.m. Saturday, edging out the 2005 and 2006 champions to claim his prize.

Second place finisher Gabe Bunke of Moorehead, Minn. piloted the #16 Polaris through the field after getting off to a slow start. Bunke didn't even crack the top 10 until lap 113, and had crawled up into the top five by the 200 lap mark. By the time officials stopped the race on Saturday, he was in second place and making a run for the lead.

Five-time Champion Corey Davidson of Holt, Minn. lead on numerous occasions throughout the day, but was officially placed in third when the race came to a premature end. The #81 Yamaha of Gueco and the #3 Yamaha of Davidson battled for the lead throughout the latter stages of the race.

Another former champion Todd Krikke of Hudsonville was chipping away at the field, working his #57 Polaris into the fourth place position, just ahead of the #1 Yamaha driven by Shawn Ritchie of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. in fifth place. Dave Nelson of Blanchard had the #31 Hunt's Polar Power Polaris in sixth when the race was halted.

Justin Winter of Elk River, Minn. produced the day's best finish for the Arctic Cat fans, ending up in sixth place. The next best Arctic Cat was piloted by William Long III and came in 15th place.

Ski Doo also had a tough day at the track with Mitch Diamond of Lapeer producing the manufacturer's best finish in the 14th position.

Troy Dewald of AuGres had a good run going aboard the Cadarette Collision Ski Doo until Lap 339 when his top-five machine tangled with the #85 Yamaha of John Faeo. Dewald's machine did not return to the race, but Faeo's machine wound up with a tenth place finish despite having a driver transported by ambulance to the hospital following the crash.

The official word from the public address system at the track did not identify the operator of the Faeo machine at the time of the incident. This same report did indicate the driver was transported in good conditions with “I'm okay,” as the parting words before the ambulance left the track destined for War Memorial Hospital.

It was a tough day for the Upper Peninsula drivers on Saturday. Jason Komarnizki of Sault Ste. Marie drove the #35 Ski-Doo of Team Torture to a 16th place finish. Mike Gentz of Marquette finished in 20th position aboard a Yamaha, while Jeramie Piippo of Rudyard finished in 23rd position aboard the Team Yellow Ski Doo.

A total of 33 teams started the race on Saturday and were greeted with bitter cold. There was some concern about snow dust accumulating over the track, but there appeared to be just enough wind to keep this from becoming a major hazard. At least one machine, according to radio traffic, suffered filter problems as the dust accumulated and choked off the air supply.

The first lake-effect snows hit shortly after noon around the 120 lap mark, but a shift in the wind provided clearing conditions for much of the afternoon. As the sun began to fall, however, so did the snow.

A red flag was brought out when problems developed with the electronic lap counting device around Lap 339. This appeared to be repaired, and racing resumed until the snow squalls reduced visibility for the drivers. Race officials again brought out the red flag, expressing the hope that visibility would improve while they plowed the track.

After a lengthy wait, Gueco was declared the winner - bringing an end ereto the dracing action.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts