Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see this in all the forums. i can understand if you don't know, you don't know. people, these shocks are rebuildable for a reason, bacause they need to be rebuilt. if you don't have rebuildable shocks in you sled, buy them. the ride is way better. if you ride 600-700 miles a year at a minimum, in somewhat rough terrain you need to get them rebuilt once a year. you won't believe the difference in newly rebuilt shocks. those things take a pounding. when the nitrogen gets mixed in with the oil, as they all will,  the shock performance will go bad, and ride performance is affected. i want to see the oil that comes out of these shocks with 1000 plus miles on them. it is the equivelant of never chaging the oil in you car or truck, except your ride performance and butt blows not your motor. once a year guys!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
my old mxz 670ho currently has 9000 miles on it and the shocks have never been touched.  I honestly could not tell the difference in shock performance from my 2002.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
This is off the top of my pointy head and the drawings in the racing manual. The takeaparts (T/A) have a seal assembly at the rod end of the body that has 2 flats on it. The non-T/A shocks do not have thes flats. That flats are where the mechanic puts a wrench on to unscrew the seal assembly from the shock body.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I believe that all Ski-Doos after the 99 HO had rebuildable HPG shocks underneath.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rocketman is correct. as for 2tone800x if you have nine thousand miles on your shocks, and i'm not saying you don't, and it rides like the 200 you just got awesome set of shocks with the sled, leave it alone. my opinion on this matter is only a guidline for some annual maintenance. some people may say that they have never greased their skis or skid and it runs great. one thing i know is that shocks generally go bad and need to rebuilt. does your h.o. feel the same as it did new? fresh shocks make a huge difference in ride quality, this is only my opinion though, and something i have expierienced. i rebuild mine every year myself and the oil is always milky, and are sometimes void of nitroget all together.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does anyone know if the stock shocks on a '97 FIII are rebuildable?

I'm also curious, am I right in assuming that it would be best to have them rebuilt right before the season starts, instead of right now when I know I won't be doing any riding until next winter?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Clutchman,
I don't remember how its ride was with fresh shocks.  it has 8932 miles on it currently.  I have talked to many people saying to rebuild.  I doubt I ever will until I have a blow out.

My 2002 X has 1900 miles on it and I know it does not ride any different than when it was new.

Maybe I have great luck with shocks.  Besides the 99 ho I had a 96 mxz 583 and to date it has close to 12,000 miles with no shock troubles.  I abuse the daylight of my sleds too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Clutchman I agree with you if your talking about fox shox, but from my experiences with the rebuildable hpg shocks is they last for many thousands on miles b4 they are need of service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts