Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it today ! I wasnt sure but I did . I bought my first 4 stroke :thumbsup: I bought a 2007 Apex RTX . I PICK IT UP MONDAY. It took a long time to decide , it was between a Ski Doo Blizzard 800 or Apex rtx. I just guessed at the end . My next 100 miles on the APEX will be very hard for me not to tap it wide open on a lake . I had borrowed a 05 rx1 one season so Im used to the 4 stroke and it really grew on me. Now my wife is getting the sticker for theSXR that say " This isnt my husbands sled " .

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I did it today ! I wasnt sure but I did . I bought my first 4 stroke :thumbsup: I bought a 2007 Apex RTX . I PICK IT UP MONDAY. It took a long time to decide , it was between a Ski Doo Blizzard 800 or Apex rtx. I just guessed at the end . My next 100 miles on the APEX will be very hard for me not to tap it wide open on a lake . I had borrowed a 05 rx1 one season so Im used to the 4 stroke and it really grew on me. Now my wife is getting the sticker for theSXR that say " This isnt my husbands sled " .[/b]

Congrats on your new toy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
"My next 100 miles on the APEX will be very hard for me not to tap it wide open on a lake ."

Make sure you follow the break in procedure. If you do, it will be about 600 miles before you can open it up on a lake. It will seem like forever but it will pay off in the end. The engine will also loosen up and be quicker after about 1000 miles. The break in period seems long and painfull but it isn't bad when riding trails. It is definitely hard when you reach a lake or long smooth, straight stretch of trail. The restrictions will probably be stated in rpms and when I broke in my RX1 I could ride trails at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ! I rode a rx 1 new and then 800 to 1700 miles and you could tell it was get faster every time .

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Congratulations, can't wait to hear all about it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i read somwhere that you need to run the engine hard not take it easy, but im not sure about where i got that from, it had somthing to do with poproly seatting the rings.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i read somwhere that you need to run the engine hard not take it easy, but im not sure about where i got that from, it had somthing to do with poproly seatting the rings.[/b]
Check out the link I posted above.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I read that article a while ago. It's hard to say what the best method would be. Maybe the manufacturers don't want the engines to last too long. I'm not going to knock the guy who wrote the article but I'm sure Yamaha has more engine building experience than he does. As does Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. His points seem to make sense. As far as the customer who had problems with the engine which was broken in as per the manufacturers instructions, there will be plenty who have problems who haven't broken the engines in as per manufacturers instructions. Of course he isn't going to show those pistons since they disprove his theory. I've only broken in 3 new 4 stroke engines and I did it the conventional way (easy on the gas, vary speed). I never had any oil consumption issues whatsoever. By the same token, I have never broke one in hard to compare the results. My next sled will probably be a 4 stroke, so I guess I will have some hard thinking to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts