Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I here guys talk about is the F7 and how light it is. Also about how twins are better than triples because the triples are so heavy. Then all of a sudden a sled comes around that is "sled of the year", is selling like crazy, and is heavier than anything we have ever seen before.

My point is, why are lightweight twins so popular over the heavier triples but alot of people are buying the even heavier RX1. I am a big triple guy and cant understand this BS marketing hype.

·
Registered
308 Posts
:D does sound like BS when you look at it that way.....

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Look, this whole sled of the year thing is bogus. All it is, is that particular magazines PAID opinion. Heck, we can all pick our own sled of the year becuase it means about as much as the magazine editors opinion.
PS I am not coming down on the RX-1, just the magazines that print this crap and try and spoon feed it to us. :angry:

·
Registered
886 Posts
PH is right. All that is bought and paid for, means nothing. In the beginning of my career I worked at Campbell-Ewald, a large ad agency that handles Chevy/GMC. Every year we had to put together several extensive proposals of what we would do if car X would be chosen as Motor Trends Car of the Year, you know the little trophy with the calipers. The proposal had to include sample creative but most importantly how much $ would be spent promoting the fact that car X was chosen. Of course none of that was supposed to affect their decision . . . It's all about the money.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have just read magazines that say the ZR will outhandle the Firecat. But the Firecat is better in bumps.

The magazines dont have a clue what there talking about.

Weight doesnt mean crap. Look at the Hummer. Ive driven one a few times and i bet it would out corner my Grand prix but it weighs probably more then twice that of the car.

The RX-1 if it had a triple engine in it would be dubbed the biggest POS to hit the snow. Even if the triple made the same emmitions, same power, and weighed less then the R1 motor.

But becasue its a 4 stroke, Magazines are all over it. You have to understand that most of the writers that write these arcticles have probably never driven half the sleds they write about so dont belive them until you see it for yourself.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The RX-1 is Sled Of The Year for a reason, INNOVATION!!!!!!!!! Accept it people, the sled will rock. It just isn't a mogal masher and most riders don't try to throw a sled around, they just cruise. The rx-1 does so many things well except jumpbig all the time. No other sled deserved the award more than the rx-1. It has totaly changed sledding forever, whether some people like it or not. And all magizines are not saying the new light weight twins are better. In fact most of them have stated that the zr 800 efi or zr 900 is the sled most guys should buy unless they ride 120 miles or less a day and or are mashing mogals all day because it's so light you'll have to man handle the sled. Whereas the 800/900 have a enough extra weight to keep the front end planted. They've also stated that the ZR 900 is the best trail handling sled around, and flat cornerer. So it's really Manufacturers hyping theere newest and lightest twins. Especiallly selling to the new riders and young ones.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I disagree sled dogg.

From what I have read (And i dont belive all of it) The RX-1 will be a poor handling sled, It has problems with inside skilift, And with a strong front end push like the CK3 did before presison skis.

Yes it looks amazing but i think it has a poor rear suspention that will not offer a ride such as a REV, or Firecat.

I also think for a sled built today it should weigh less then that. The dry weight of this sled is probably just around 600 Lb. When wet it will be right over 600.

The way I look at it, It has a heavy out of date chassie with a 4 stroke motor struggling to make the same power of current 2 stroke twins which are cheaper and have no where near the emount of money and research put into them.

IMO no sled desirves this award more then the REV. The REV has truly changed sleds and the way sleds will be built and designed in the future (Not the RX-1). When riding the REV you dont even feel bumps or mogles that might dislodge you from a regular machine, The REV has also won its share of snowX races last year and is doing really well in the drags this year.

It also has RER reverse which is a revloution all on its own. It has the ability to turn into a comfortable 2 up riding machine, It has the biggest trunk space ive ever seen, And it has the best handling I have ever ridden and it has bombardiers list of high tech features such a DESS security and all the digital stuff.

If you disagree with me, Prove me wrong, Because I dont see how the RX-1 desirved this award in anyway other then the fact that it makes good power from a 4 stroke and looks good.

This is not ment to bash or offend anyone. I just dont agree with the magazines.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
well yamaha finally has their day in the light, i'm not saying that i agree but who cares and good for them that they have conquered the politics to get there.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah I agree with that. What I was posting about was my Personal opinion of sled of the year. As for the mags. Its obvious that the manufactors buy that as part of there add campaign.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont really care who is the sled of the year. This is not about yama, cat, pol, or doo. Its about people being so darn confused about which sled to buy because of this BS hype and phony bolony printed in the mags. All I hear is ski doo and cat argueing over which sled is lighter. But along comes MR RX1 weighing 6 hundy and now all of a sudden its a popular sled. But wait a minute I though being lighter was why twin sleds are supposed to better than triples. All I hear is triples are way to heavy and for that re3ason they are being phazed out. Well I guess yamaha has proved that theory wrong!!!!! Screw lightweight, screw twins, give me a nice BIG triple and put the money and technology that is being put into the development and advertisement of these other sleds. Seems to me with all these new high tech sleds coming out snowmobiling is really going downhill. Why dont they give us what we snowmobilers really want? Am I the only one that feels this way?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
lol finaly someone said it i was going to make post on this...........lol. there all talking weight of the tripples and now the yamaha is the heaviest but its unreal,.......lol. all sleds are still when u realy look at it still not that far off when it comes down to weight. what is the heaviest and what is the lightest. what is the difference hp-weight ratios?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No Bigdude, I think you're of the majority!! Don't get me wrong, I really love my ZR, but it would be so easy to update the triples so everyone has a CHOICE. It has to be about profit, as stated many times before, cheaper to build the twins, sell them at triple prices...voila!!! More profit. But hey, let's be positive...I'm sure they're going to use the majority of the profit from the twins to bring out new and improved triples in a year or two...RIGHT!!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned as for as the twins being the only choice by the manufacturers....TV. SnoCross is televised now...we think that's good because we get to watch our sport on TV, but the people that are turned on to snowmobiling due to it's TV exposure will look for the sleds they see on TV...all those models happen to be twins. As we all know, TV does shape what products are offered to the public. Mr. Joe Public goes down to the local sled shop after seeing them on TV and says, "what's the sled that I saw on TV this weekend?", and never even is offered a triple. Kinda makes you wish it was still a well-kept secret, huh?!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
..........LOL...... i just had to say we have spent millions$$$$ in building trails flat and smooth and now there building sleds to get to 80mph and to ride mogules,,...lol i will stay with flat,smooth,fast..............hehehehe :devil:

·
Registered
310 Posts
u boys wanna talk about changing sledding forever. i think the REV did just that. wowee a 4 stroke motor in a sled, its nice to see but i dont think its the "best thing around"

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Its like sled dogg said INNOVATION. If you read the article in the snogoer mag it explains how they came to name the RX1 as sled of the year. There were a few other things that they mentioned and I will post those later as my mag is at home. :doh:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That's fine ZERT, but it's still the mags doing the rating, not the public.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly, I dont care what the mag says its all BS. Yeah I am sure some of the print is legit but let the real world decide for themselves. Personally I dont get the mags. all they are good for is making me buy stuff I dont need and making me crazy when there is no snow. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts