Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up, i am new to my 76 ski doo and know nothing about them. last summer i got this one for free and had it running for the most part (some fuel delivery issue), but now that the snow is falling she again doesnt run. now the issue is a no spark. i was told that the kill swithch is the first thing to check, it was a broken, but i think it still functioned, so i grounded both sides and still nothing. i replaced the plug wires, and cleaned the tips of the mags, but i have no idea where to go from here. please help me, i wanna use this thiing this year.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Don't think you should ground the kill switch, that would ground out the ignition, pretty sure it should be open to produce spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think you should ground the kill switch, that would ground out the ignition, pretty sure it should be open to produce spark.[/b]
i wasnt sure so now there isnt a kill switch anymore, and ive been trying everything with a combo of open, grounded and conected, and there is no difference between them, my only other thought is that it would need to have power to it, but i get a pretty decent spark if you touch the wire to a hot, and on my test light it says its a ground on both sides of the wires.

·
Registered
430 Posts
-Does that motor have points/condensor?
-I would also check the wires on the coils.
-Unplug the ignition all together and see if it pops.

I had a 75' 340 TNT that had a bad condensor and I think points also. The coils were also shot.
I'm just thinking out loud so someone else may chime up.
Perhaps post this in the vintage section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Does that motor have points/condensor?
-I would also check the wires on the coils.
-Unplug the ignition all together and see if it pops.

I had a 75' 340 TNT that had a bad condensor and I think points also. The coils were also shot.
I'm just thinking out loud so someone else may chime up.
Perhaps post this in the vintage section.[/b]

i took off the pull starter and pulley and inspected/cleaned everyting, but nothing looked to be out of order, broken or dirty. when you had the coil issue were you getting a pulsed signal on the hot side to the coil? i have a good ground and im getting a signal in, but i cant get any spark out, even with a brand new plug sitting right in the coil and a jumper going to ground. the weird part is using my LED test light it shows power coming out of the coil. i had a problem with a fuel injection system on a buick, the light would light, but it wasnt giving a good enough signal to fire the injectors. do you think this might be the problem? also another guy told me to check the cdi box, do you know what this is, where it is, or how to check it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts