Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got word this morning from the doc that I may have to give up snowmobiling. :( Last year I tore a tendon in my left elbow that just won't heal. After many cortizone shots, braces and a cast there appears to be no hope. ??? Surgery has a 75% failure rate which is even more depressing. I am going to get a second opinion but from what the doc is telling me is that if I push it too much I could lose partial use of my left forearm. :nervous: I don't know what I would do if I had to give up the sport I have loved :inlove: since I was 4 years old. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Surgery can work...but you will likely have to give up snowmobiling for this year and maybe next until you properly rehabilitate it. Tendon injuries suck. Go easy on that arm or it will never heal. ???

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I feel for ya man.But you better get that arm healed up.The worst part of
the whole thing is if you sell all the sleds is trying to convince yourself to
shell out $10 grand plus to get back into it a few years later :(
Good luck zrt600

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, I would have a hard time giving it up for a year or two. I would have to move to a place with no snow. If it's anything like last season, here is good. :D About 10 years ago I broke my right hand, I had a cast up to my elbow. Do you think that stopped me, not! I switched the brake and throttle cables so I could throttle left hand and used my cast to push against the brake lever. I put alot of miles on that year but it was slow riding and I think my hand was constantly swollen too.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Definitely get that second opinion. I'd still go for the surgery if it meant a chance to continue sledding.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
If they could heal up my ACL to get me back to riding then i would say they can do anything... have hope and im sure you will find some DR who rides a Firecat and is going to make that elbow work again.... Best of luck to you

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I am sorry to here about the bad news arcticzrt600. I can relate to your problem. In 97 I got t-boned by a polaris at 60kmh. The tendon on the outside of my elbow has never been the same never mind my wrists. Tendons can take so long to heal it's NOT funny. I would definately get a second opinon. I am going to be purchasing knee braces this year. I was hit by a mercedes a few years back on my street bike = metal rods in legs and 8 leg operations. I wont let it stop me from sledding though. I hope things work out for you. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have to move to a place without snow. Just move here, MN. We get no snow at all. :) That sucks about the not riding deal. If there is snow on the ground that's all I can think of. I wish the best for you. Good Luck.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for your well wishes, I'm hoping for the best. :(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that arcitczrt600. Don't give up though cause there is always a way. Goodluck.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
thats not good news, but I too would go for a second opinion.

One thing to remember, "where there is a will, there is a way".

Don't sell the sleds, find a way to work around your problems.

and good luck,

FishHog

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would go with the surgery. 75% doesnt mean crap. Look at the weather forcasters. THey allways claim chance of snow 75% and then its sun or rain.

If theres a chance to keep riding go with it. But make sure you check out each option incase your overlooking anything. But im sure you already know that..

:D

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I know what you wre going through. My brother hit a tree two years ago in February. He lost all movement and feeling in his right arm and hand.He was worried he would never be able to ride again. Last year he bought a Trail Roamer. And was having fun all winter. He even put more mile on than me. I don't know if you will have to go that extreem but at least you know there is a way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
That sucks man. Best of luck.

Whats this operation going to do to your pocket book. Or is this covered?

·
Registered
741 Posts
arctic catzrt600, I feel for you. I crashed a motorcycle about 23 years ago and tore eight tendons in my foot. It still doesn't have full movement. I also have some svere sinus poblems (relating to yor docotr statement) I just had surgery for the third time this last friday. I can say after all three ops this time I feel bet out of all of them. The first two times were done abeaumont, this time I went out to U0fM and had one of their docotrs roto-root me. I think allshould be fine this time although only time will tell. Best of luck, Kevin

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i wish you well, but if you hate doctors then you must not know any lawyers.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
:withstupid: Dont give up arcticzrt600.There will be a doctor that can help you.I was hit by a car at 14 and my knee got smoked.I had one tendon lengthened and one shortened and a muscle moved in my leg.I am getting a brace this year for my knee.I did a big jump and landed badly last year and my knee folded under me, so AFTER riding I will go get it fixed and brace it up for the coming season.Someone will be able to fix ya up buddy. :) :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by OLEO@Sep 30 2002, 07:28 PM
Whats this operation going to do to your pocket book. Or is this covered?
The procedure would be covered 100%. The doctor I see is my wifes boss. She is in medical billing at an orthopedic office. :D I surprised her last night when after dinner I went to pick up my glass with my left hand and dropped it right away in excrutiating pain. She says, "it can't hurt that bad", boy I let her have it. :cussing:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah I hate doctors too and especially when they can't do crap like for my f'ed up hand. I broke it in football and it healed wrong because I kept playing and now I have arthritis at 18. :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small update, cut the grass yesterday, went to the doctor this morning cause my forearm went numb. Going to get an MRI now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts