Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to my 1976 ski doo bombardier, and know nothing about them. last summer i got this one for free and had it running for the most part (some fuel delivery issue), but now that the snow is falling she again doesnt run. now the issue is a no spark. i was told that the kill swithch is the first thing to check, it was a broken, but i think it still functioned, so i grounded both sides and still nothing. i replaced the plug wires, and cleaned the tips of the mags, but i have no idea where to go from here. please help, its snowing right now

·
Registered
35 Posts
i am new to my 1976 ski doo bombardier, and know nothing about them. last summer i got this one for free and had it running for the most part (some fuel delivery issue), but now that the snow is falling she again doesnt run. now the issue is a no spark. i was told that the kill swithch is the first thing to check, it was a broken, but i think it still functioned, so i grounded both sides and still nothing. i replaced the plug wires, and cleaned the tips of the mags, but i have no idea where to go from here. please help, its snowing right now[/b]
Not sure how your kill switch works, but have you tried starting it without the kill switch wires grounded? On mine the kill switch grounds the ign system causing shutdown. You may be able to just tape off the wires from you kill switch untill you can get a new one. Hope this helps, and I hope I'm pointing you in the right direction, I'm new to sleds but not engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how your kill switch works, but have you tried starting it without the kill switch wires grounded? On mine the kill switch grounds the ign system causing shutdown. You may be able to just tape off the wires from you kill switch untill you can get a new one. Hope this helps, and I hope I'm pointing you in the right direction, I'm new to sleds but not engines.[/b]

Thnanks, ill give it a shot, the guy that told me to ground them was kinda taking a guess without seeing the sled anyway, thanks for the help though, im tryin to get this thing goin before they plow all my snow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you check your coil?[/b]
well, its got the two, i think theyre mags, but im not sure. when i had it going on and off i would get spark once in a while, and when i would hook up a test light to the pos side feed it would blink as if it were giving it the signal it needed. now however its not even giving me the signal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The magneto is under the flywheel which is under the pull start. If you haven't yet - check your condenser and points. If you aren't getting power to your coils is usually because the condenser (capacitor) has gone or the points are pitted. If the points aren't flat on the two contact areas that touch - replace them. With the follower of the points on one of the high spots of the crank, set your clearance to 0.020" (or whatever the manual says). If the points don't fix it - the condenser can be removed from the mag assembly with the right sized socket and a hammer. Then push the new one in with the same socket and a vice. Solder the lead on. Check at the pos side of the coil again. If there is power to the coils but no spark or intermittent spark - check the coils ground. Clean them and put some dielectric grease under it before tightening it back down. Check for spark. The next option is the spark plug wires. They either push into the hole in the coil or screw onto them - try unscrewing them first then pull them out. Check in the hole while you have the wire out. Cut about an inch off the plug wire and put it back in or replace them. Check it again. That's about all I can think of - I spent til I was 19 working on 1971 - 85 skidoos and ski rolls. Let me know how it goes....

Woodler

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The magneto is under the flywheel which is under the pull start. If you haven't yet - check your condenser and points. If you aren't getting power to your coils is usually because the condenser (capacitor) has gone or the points are pitted. If the points aren't flat on the two contact areas that touch - replace them. With the follower of the points on one of the high spots of the crank, set your clearance to 0.020" (or whatever the manual says). If the points don't fix it - the condenser can be removed from the mag assembly with the right sized socket and a hammer. Then push the new one in with the same socket and a vice. Solder the lead on. Check at the pos side of the coil again. If there is power to the coils but no spark or intermittent spark - check the coils ground. Clean them and put some dielectric grease under it before tightening it back down. Check for spark. The next option is the spark plug wires. They either push into the hole in the coil or screw onto them - try unscrewing them first then pull them out. Check in the hole while you have the wire out. Cut about an inch off the plug wire and put it back in or replace them. Check it again. That's about all I can think of - I spent til I was 19 working on 1971 - 85 skidoos and ski rolls. Let me know how it goes....

Woodler[/b]
cool, thanks for the info, im gonna get out there and see what i can see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts