Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to fix my speedo wich broke in the middle of last season,the cable and head were ok so I pulled the plate on the drive shaft,uh-oh bad bearings :(

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so I guess I'll be spending some bucks on bearings,slide reails and such,better to find it now than out in the woods.
It did come apart easier than I thought it would,here is about 25 minutes later

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well....................If it's any consolation, You're lucky to have found this while the sled is in the garage and not on the side of the trail!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
on just about any sled,if the speedo goes out,that bearing is the first place to check

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actualy everything is out and free just got to get new ones and put it back together,theslide rails were probably good for another year or so but since it's all apart might as well do it know.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
let this be a valuble lesson,that is the first place to check when your speedo quits for no other visible reason.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always had beaters like the one behind it,this is the first one I can remember having a speedo,or hand warmers or ifs or goodies like that.
The good thing is both bearings will be new and I'll go through the whole skid while I'm at it,in retrospect probably a good thing,better now then later.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
yep-there's a zerk fitting back there...................... ???

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Nice work area there scaleman!! :p Who says you need a garage and a lift!!

Good thing you tore 'er apart now, and not later. Had the jackshaft bearings go out on my ZRT one time...not a pretty site.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jim,I got a trailer a tree and a tarp,damn house didn't come with a garage.
Coulda took it to work but what the hay,it'll be back together by tuesday if I get parts on monday.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it figures,I had a little extra cash I was gonna register the Chevelle
and the Cougar and get some stuff at the sled flea market this week for the Cheetah,guess I know where it's going now :p

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you wouldn't have posted a pic I would have guessed it was a polaris.
My buddy had his go out one time, he says, ya, my speedo quit about 300 miles back but so what. Found out the left bearing went and took the speedo cable [the warning sign]. Then 300 miles later it took the gear case one too! The sad part is it ruined the chassi with a baseball sized hole from the shaft wobbling around! Like you couldn't hear a funny noise! Daaaaaa!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i would have thought you would have noticed the crunchy crunchy in the bearing last year.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paul,last time I rode it was up north last feb.,at the end of the day after riding all day without noticing any funny noises I put it on that trailer and it hasn't moved since ???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts