Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres what happened... We got a two inches of snow today, so I decided to take my sled around the yard. Well it made it around the yard once then it started making a squealing noise and it began acting like it wasn't getting fuel. I opened the fuel cap(because thats where it seemed it came from) and it did get noticably louder. Also the idle was at like 3300rpm which is way high. I parked it shut it down, rode my wifes sled :wink: around for a few minutes went back to mine started it and it ran fine w/o any noises. My question what would make this noise and cause these problem but disappear after shut down and restart?...thanks G :christmas:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Make sure you are using the correct belt. Then, if you don't know how to set your belt deflection, it's time to find out. I don't know how on your model. The adjustment is in the secondary and it will hold the sheaves slightly open to fit the new belt, and then you adjust it down as the belt wears and gets loose. My guess is you have a new belt on a clutch that is set up for an older belt. This condition makes the belt pull too tight against the primary (causing squealing) and/or may keep the secondary from fully backshifting when you stop, causing engagement bog. Of course what you describe could be a lot of things, but I would start with the belt deflection. That's been the cause of 95% of the squealing belts I've ever heard, but yes there are plenty of other things it could be. If you are using an aftermarket belt you may not be able to get the adjustment right...depends on how the belt deflection adjustment works on your model. I stick to OEM belts personally. On my Polaris sleds you could just add more shims inside the secondary to fit a wider aftermarket belt, on the others I don't know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Smart valves, or as some like to call them dumb valves. part 16, 17 in the pic. If theres any water in the fuel, dirt or low on fuel, they will collapse. The squealing your hearing is the fuel pump starving. Get a coat hanger and fish them out of the tank take them a part and clean. Carb cleaner works on the very fine filters, 70 microns. Check the bottom of the tank for junk or they will plug up on you again in the worst places.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I beleive spazr got the fix I will try that. The drive belt is fine when it seemed ito run out of fuel(wouldn't stay running when gave it throttle) and the idle way high it just screamed fuel delivery prob but w/efi I wasn't sure what could be the prob. thanks again.G

·
10,054 Posts
when my smart valves sucked shut, the sled shut off,,,, I didnt get any high idle or refusal to speed up when hitting the throttle,,,, I do believe I had a problem where both shut and when it happened again, only one shut (the one furthest from the pump).

What ever you do, DO NOT cut the screens out of the valves,,, bad things happen to those who cut the screens out of the valves. They are there to keep water from entering the fuel system. Water in the fuel system really makes the pistons and cylinder walls look different.

To me I question if it simply wasnt something in the fuel pump. Was the fuel stablized last spring?? How much fuel is in there?? Is it that this is the first is was ran after sitting all summer and the pump simply caused the issue?? I wouldnt hurt to check the smart valves, but I believe your gonna want to pull them away from the sled to clean them and its not a screwdriver style clamp,,, you cut the hose and put a new clamp on them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much fuel, I had drained fuel earlier last spring only left very little in tank. So there was not much fuel to begin with. When it started acting up I put more fuel in but it didn't help until after I shut it down.G

·
10,054 Posts
Those are smart valves in the gas tank,,, use a coat hanger and fish them off the bottom of the tank. Be careful not to put the coat hanger into the screen on the bottom of the valve and tear it. Hanger should wrap right around the hose and you can get the the back one outside of the tank,,, the front one on mine I couldnt, I had to look it over inside the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts