Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding, I usually pick up the rear of my sled and drop it a couple of times to clear the snow out of the tunnel. The problem is, every morning when I start the sled and start to move it, there are chunks of ice still inside the tunnel. They are at the front of the tunnel and it is impossible to clear them out. I'm sure everyone has had this happen to them. I can't stand to hear that ice grinding away at my front heat exchanger and prematurly wearing the track out. How does everyone avoid this situation?

01 MXZ 600

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Pick up the rear of your sled and drop it a couple of times to clear the snow out of the tunnel before riding in the morning as well. Also let it move a couple of feet without your body weight on the machine :)Or use a track stand and spin the track a bit to get the chunks free. :)

Last edited by LadyK at Sep 30 2002, 10:18 PM

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not sure if theres any good way beyond putting the sled in a warm area for it to melt. I did witness a gent last winter that figured using a screw driver was a good idea, he changed his mind when green fluid appeared from the hole he had just punched in his heat exchanger and started cursing up a storm. He appologized when he saw my young son standing beside me My son replied "don't worry about it, my mom uses words like that all the time", at least he got a chuckle out of that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
wonder if the same guy use to defrost his frezer the same way :D . I like to try and clear the snow after ridding before it set up all night not that i always do this but i try.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yor kids smart ZRsledhead :D And as for snow and ice hurting anything .....not likely ;) As LadyK said just walk with it for a few feet and get it moving and pretend you dont hear the ice banging around .....Works for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
If your saying that ice is building up near the front of the track then i would assume you have a fan machine. With the radiator up front in the liquids as long as you give it a good couple of drops at the end of the day i dont see the ice building up to bad. In the rear sometimes your going to just have to break out the old phillips standard screwdriver. I have never heard of the ice doing any damage though... just make sure no ones too close behind you if you try to clear it by getting on the throttle hahah

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The SC-10s are prone to a lot of ice buildup by the 2 upper rear idler wheels. When we're travelling, & done for the night we try to clear as much as we can by dropping it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick posts. I guess I will just keep doing what I have been doing. I will also pick/drop the sled a few times before taking off the first time each morning.

I have 144 studs in my track also. They are only .920 size so I don't think that would make a world of difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
we all just have to keep droping the sleds before we ride. The belt doesn't like you when you hop on and just go. Mabe one of the manufactures will figure something out to improve the clearing of slush and ice but don't hold your breath. If you just finished pounding powder let your sled run for a few minutes to try to melt off the caked in snow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use a stand at the end of the day and spin the track to clear it out and leave it up all night, so to speak, that way it doesn't freeze to the ground. My back just can't take all that jumping and banging. LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
The stand and spinning work for me. I make them out of 2 by 4 and make sure I always have one where I'm going to sleep. A long piece of fire wood works in a pinch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a T-Cat as my second sled and was riding in the UP. Went into the Brew Pub near T. Falls and had lunch. A lot of ice formed in my sled and I rode out without "dropping the back end". I realized that there was a grinding noise, that being a large piece of ice about 2 inches thick and maybe 8 by 6 inches in size had broken loose inside and was on the track.

It took a while to get this out of the tunnel.

Later when I looked at the sled (before selling it), I saw the damage that this ice caused. 4 STUDS were pulled completely through the track from that block of ice. These were on the outer portion of the track in different places. Rendering the track to dangerous to use, and to costly to repair. So I ended up buying a new Camoplast Challenger track and selling it with the 98 T-Cat.

Ice in the tunnel can definately set you back some bucks if you don't deal with it. Riding with it "banging" away inside until it falls out can cause a lot of damage as you can see from this story.

Greg

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I normally start the sled let the engine warm up,then just lift and drop
a few times like the others.There has only been a few times that we
have to take turns holding up the back ends to free em up ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by another MXZ@Oct 1 2002, 05:02 PM
The belt doesn't like you when you hop on and just go.
You got that right! I use a track stand every morning before I go out. Usually clears all of the ice out and helps not to burn up the belt.

Just a hint, if you decide to get a track stand, get one with sides, because the ice does fly all over if you don't.

This has worked for me and seems to give me more belt life. I'm sure that the clutches benefit too.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I just slide my homemade stand under it and bang on the tunnel with a big rubber mallet. Doesn't hurt the tunnel and 90% of the ice is loose. Make sure you get all the chunks out because it can crack the rubber on the wheels.
I have seen ice so bad on the top wheels of an SC-10 that the track isn't even touching the wheels! Sometimes there frozen bad enough the track turns but the wheel doesn't and you can get flat spots, not good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question.

Would running in reverse for a short time/distance be a better way of removing the chunks of ice after the lift-n-bounce exercize?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was wondering if someone was gonna mention the reverse trick never thought of it myself till just now me I just hop on and gouge on it the studs will chew up the ice haven't had any probs yet 6000+ k later

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Stay out of the slush as much as possible and dont skip water................Ya Right :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts