Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the snow is coming and i was wndering how do you know win the ice is safe to go on and how do you check the ice befor you go on it it see if it is safe

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
the snow is coming and i was wndering how do you know win the ice is safe to go on and how do you check the ice befor you go on it it see if it is safe[/b]
When the guy in front of you doesn't break through, it must be OK. :lol:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Check this out:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It's from the North Western Ontario Snowmobile Association website. The chart is also on the OFSC's TOP Trail Guide map.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are some spots where the ice can be many feet thick and less than 100 feet away the ice can only be inches.

A groomed marked trail provided by your local snowmobile club should be safe, but if you have any doubt check the trail conditions before you head out. You still must be cautious of ice ridges and slush. IF YOU HIT SLUSH DO NOT SLOW DOWN.

As for small creeks I am always a little leery of them if I am off trail. I try to spend as little time on them as possible. If there is a prior snowmobile track there I follow it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i can tell you it isnt safe right now

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you but how do you check it win your out there the trail from are camp go,s over a lake its some what marked and whould like to know how to till win you get to it how safe it is

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Chop holes w/ an axe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Or, if the trail across the lake is groomed by your local snowmobile club, then they would have checked the ice before hand...... either that, or the groomer's sitting at the bottom of the lake.

Personally, I just ride where everyone else has been riding. OR..... if it's a remote lake, then I'm just there to fish, so I walk out a few feet, drill a hole with the auger.... if there's lots of ice, I walk out a bit further and drill again.... If there is at least 6 inches of ice at the second hole, then I'll ride across (but we're talking small lakes here). I'll run at about 3/4 throttle across the lake, and if I see a dark spot, then I put it to the bar knowing that there's still some throttle left. Don't slow down..... don't look back.... If the ride across the lake is good, then from you driving across, any slushy spots will soak through the packed snow.... and show up grey. So on your way back, you know where the "iffy" spots might be.

HOWEVER...... that being said..... if you have no way to test the ice, and you're not sure if it's safe.... then PLEASE.... just stay off the ice.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
KNOW before you GO

If you do not know the lake becareful

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't follow tracks and assume they are safe because if you follow mine and you aren't going fast enough then you're gonna be swimming. Always check for yourself if you are unsure.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Don't follow tracks and assume they are safe because if you follow mine and you aren't going fast enough then you're gonna be swimming. Always check for yourself if you are unsure.[/b]
idooski would be right there with you skipping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
heres a good rule of thumb i always use.......water or ice.....just hit it at 50 or more and it don't matter.....WOT till the next shore......good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts