Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a half dozen "bad" idler wheels between both sleds. I'm cheap and like to tinker so I took the worst one apart. Wouldn't even spin by hand. I let the bearing soak in WD-40 for a few minutes and sprayed it out. Works like new now! So my question is what do I use to lubricate it? I figured just pack it like a trailer wheel bearing. So I loaded it with grease, popped the seals in and put it back together. However, I think I used too much grease, she won't spin very good at all. Any tips on this one or should I just open up my tight wallet and buy new bearings?

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
First don't use trailer bearing grease. use a synthetic low temp grease (amsoil Works fine and is cheap) do not pack them to full or they will just pray the grease out when they warm up and they will make a mess!!! Also you risk blowing the seals out if they are too full. Make sure that all the bearings alre clean and corosion free if there is any doubt change them now it is much easier and cheaper. If it lets go on the trail you will probably have to change an idler wheel as well.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If your going to replace them, buy the NTN premium blue seal bearing, a couple of bucks more but well worth it. The original equipment bearings are far more expensive and of lesser quality.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just open your wallet, you cheapo, just kidding :p , but seriously just buy new ones, youll be- :cussing: - when your on the side of a trail thinking how easyer it would of been to just get new ones. I here ya about trying to save money, I dont know about you but it gets old beating your head against a wall. Id rather change them once then twice.

·
0 Posts
You can find new bearings on e-bay for a dutch bit of 3.95 every couple of weeks. When my sled was new I took the skid frame apart and packed all of the bearings with low temp grease (same as used in susp zerks) and yes I packed them all of the way. No problems and that was 11,000 miles ago. Next sled did the same but it only has 4,000 on it so time will tell. The only grease I see in the susp is near the axles and I pushed it with a gun. One note, if you had rust on the bearing its junk! replace it now with new and grease it before you install it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts