Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had no brand loyalty and were going to buy a reliable, quick, and comfortable trail sled, what would you buy? I have a 95 Formula Z right now, and its getting to the point where it hurts to ride it. The suspension sucks (though I have thought about an SC10 II swap), but I ride with my feet back, adn my knees and lower legs start to hurt, I believe cuz the seat is too close to the running boards, bending my knees tight.

Which would you buy, in the 600cc range, with a nice, comfy ride and something that isnt breaking all the time?

Thanks-Dan

·
Premium Member
269 Posts

The 4 stroke makes them quite a bit more reliable, and better on gas(as well as not relying on premium that many 2 strokes recommend). And they arnt half bad otherwise.

If it was for pure speed, id probably take a skidoo just for the available mods.

I still see too many issues with skidoo and polaris engines on the new machines to make me want to spend $8000+ on one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't have brand loyalty. I just bought an 06 Crossfire. My last sled was a 'cat too, but I evaluated all sled brands before making my decision. I think Yamaha makes a great sled overall, but they've always ridden too firmly for my tastes, and had poor suspension travel (the reason for the firm ride). I'm not anti 4-stroke, but frankly those sleds are just too heavy for me to get unstuck by myself. As it is, my crossfire is a ##### to move around. I completely ruled out polaris because they don't have anything over a 600, but I like their new IQ chassis quite a bit. This left me with skidoo and cat. I like the Rev, but I like the crossfire better, especially for the money. I think the new 08 Rev is going to be an outstanding sled, but it's newness and popularity will certainly price it out of my reach. Therefore by process of elimination, I bought the Crossfire.

If I intended to never leave a trail, or never ride a trail, my selection could have changed considerably, but the crossfire fit all of my specific needs.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would go for the Apex GT.
It's fuel injected with Olin shocks.
I really like the red and black one, just wish it had a 136".

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would seriously consider the Ski Doo GSX Sport 600 HO with or without the SDI, I believe that the new models all have SDI but you can always get a leftover, many places have non current models left over that are still brand new that are significantly less expensive than new models. As far as comfort is concerned I don't think you can beat a REV. My father got a 2005 leftover last year and it was a lot cheaper than the new models...just my two cents

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Did alot of searching last year and was very happy with my 06 500SS MXZ, comfortable, lots of pep and great fuel economy. Also runs on regular gas, regular oil.
Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
the polaris classiss are the best sled as for suspension and comfort for trail riding but skidoo sdi 600 and yamaha 4 strokes are the best fuel economic engines

·
Registered
980 Posts
A lot of my decision would also be based on what was sold and servicable in my area.
I would never buy a Polaris, but that is because the only dealers around here that sell them are crooks and are known for being shady.
We have a GREAT Arctic Cat and Ski-doo dealer, so that is what I would probably buy if I was going to buy a new one off the show room floor.
I am actually in that position. My wife wants me to consider buying a brand new sled next fall. I still think I am going to buy a 2005 SaberCat 600 or 700, but only because I can not take the 'hit' of depreciation right off the floor and I service everything myself.

I am a die hard Cat man, but the Ski-doo 600 SDI would be my second choice.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree with the dealer that is local to you. For example, up until now the only vehicle I would buy is Chrysler because the other dealerships here in town are criminals (literally). Well, one of those criminals just bought our Chrysler dealership, so now I don't know what my next vehicle will be.

As for snowmobiles, I own Polaris because they have awesome mechanics and knowledgeable salespeople who are willing to go that extra mile to help you. The local Yamaha shop wouldn't accept my cash to buy a new sled (a few years ago now) because they were too busy talking with their friends. The same for Arctic Cat. Bombardier simply didn't want to sell to anyone who wasn't a die-hard Bombardier fan and wasn't willing to spend $600 of their own cash to make sure everything they owned was black and yellow.

For trail riding, I'm assuming you're talking a laid back, 2-up, put-put-puttering along at 30mph? If so, the 4-stroke might be your answer. The Polaris 600 Classic (and the like) have the best suspension for ANY snowmobile, but the suspension itself knocks off 1-2mpg. If you can handle the rougher ride, perhaps the 4-stroke is the way to go (if you ride ANY 2-stroke at a steady rpm, you're asking for trouble anyway). Bombardier is the way to go for mileage as well, as they seem to be the best competitors in terms of fuel economy. If you want a 1-up, however, and although you're on the trails you want to have fun, than the Polaris is the way to go. Especially with the IQ chassis (I've had many hard smacks on one side or the other, and if I had my eyes closed I wouldn't have known).

But... your local dealers will be your best bet. Just go to each one and ask ALL QUESTIONS. Drive them silly. The ones that keep their cool and still want to sell you a machine, are the ones to deal with. The ones that don't want to serve you at all (ahem, our local Yamaha) stay away from.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Did alot of searching last year and was very happy with my 06 500SS MXZ, comfortable, lots of pep and great fuel economy. Also runs on regular gas, regular oil.
Best bang for the buck in my opinion.[/b]
When this guy says he does a lot of researching he is not kidding.. Cory definetly does his homework... Now having said that, and no matter what anyone says..( on the brand loyalty thing) I would also recommend the 500ss . It's comfy, quick, a snappy little snot. Decent gas milage, and the ride is 2nd to none. JMO however.

Snow4

·
Registered
335 Posts
I saw some good prices on leftover 07' doos on the way to tug hill .. The MXZ-550f REV was like $5,500... pretty hard to resist... The bigger sleds were proportionally discounted as well.. Seems end of the season is best time to buy..

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
ok ok I never had a ski doo I have had the other ones but no ski doo yet so that's what it would be thanks

Rick

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Tough question, but knowing what I know now, if I could go back a year I would buy exactly the same sled I bought last time. The IQ chassis is awesome, the Cleanfire motor rocks, and (knock on wood) at 2700 miles it works just as good as when I bought it.
The reflash is available now, and the new hotter thermostat next week, so I'll let you know if the fuel milage issue has been taken care of soon. Either way, there's no other sled I'd rather have.

As for other choices....THe 08 Rev looks promising, but the others are way too uncomfortable, and my limited expirience on them made me think they're too heavy on their skis.

Arctic Cat....I LOVE the Crossfire and M-Series. Sexy, light and powerful, they'd be a very good choice. THe F-series though, I don't care how good it is, it's too ugly for my tastes.

Yamaha has some sweet looking sleds, and if you're only riding groomed trails and lakes they have some good choices. THe 08 Nytro might even be a decent choice off trail, but for the most part they're still big heavy brutes that are over-hyped, over-rated and certainly over-priced.

I wouldn't touch a Polaris 4-stroke either. Lots of power, but they're still too heavy, and into their second year they still don't have the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tough question, but knowing what I know now, if I could go back a year I would buy exactly the same sled I bought last time. The IQ chassis is awesome, the Cleanfire motor rocks, and (knock on wood) at 2700 miles it works just as good as when I bought it.
The reflash is available now, and the new hotter thermostat next week, so I'll let you know if the fuel milage issue has been taken care of soon. Either way, there's no other sled I'd rather have.

As for other choices....THe 08 Rev looks promising, but the others are way too uncomfortable, and my limited expirience on them made me think they're too heavy on their skis.

Arctic Cat....I LOVE the Crossfire and M-Series. Sexy, light and powerful, they'd be a very good choice. THe F-series though, I don't care how good it is, it's too ugly for my tastes.

Yamaha has some sweet looking sleds, and if you're only riding groomed trails and lakes they have some good choices. THe 08 Nytro might even be a decent choice off trail, but for the most part they're still big heavy brutes that are over-hyped, over-rated and certainly over-priced.

I wouldn't touch a Polaris 4-stroke either. Lots of power, but they're still too heavy, and into their second year they still don't have the bugs worked out.[/b]
Even though I usually never agree with anything you post because you’re a bit brash and argumentative I do have to agree 110% with everything you said.
If I were to buy a new sled it would either be an older x-fire or the new Polaris 600.
You hit it right on the button with Yamaha. They are indeed overrated and overpriced. In addition I wish Cat would go back to doing what they always did best. They were always original and industry leaders but now they are just followers. Sure the 07'chassis is new and (unproven) however, the rest of the sled is still just another version of the REV platform. I could care less about it. I live in Wisconsin where we ride groomed trails and lakes. I have no reason to stand up 90% of the time.
Give me a powerful trail sled that I can sit down on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts