Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k folks this is off of another forum, it only didn't gain weight it also lost 10 hp from last winter, this is a legit number as it was dynoed by dynotech industries.

136.6 hp and 69 ft/lbs of torque @ 10,400 rpm measured directly off the engine crank. There will be some inherent loss through the gear reduction. Peak torque was 76.1 ft/lbs @ 7600 rpm. Realize the gear reduction is a torque multiplier so drive clutch torque will be 1.2 x crankshaft torque.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
for sure the 4 stroke is going to act different then a 2 stroke i guess when the rubber meets the snow then we will know.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've seen many, many numbers on many different sites, This is the lowest I've seen though. I know that my friend had his dynoed at 142 @ 10,300 with 78 ft/lb of torque straight from crank. Who to believe? That is your decision.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
After seeing how it ran at haydays i would say 138 to 143 is probably where its at.

Not to be negitive but it did lose to 700s and they dont make 142hp

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
From what I read in the magazines, Due to the recession in Japan, this was the only option Yamaha had at making a sled. They didnt have the money to redesign a new 2 stroke and they had already spend a ton of money on this R1 motor.

They did the best with what they had. And maybe its not the fastest but for people that like the advantages of a 4 stroke theres none better.

And what ever they dont have in power they make up in looks and sound. THis sled will definitly be a attention getter. I dont think you can call a sled that smashed sales records a flop. Obvoiusly one or two people like it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I doubt it Greenclicker. I like the four strokes, I'm primarily a trail rider, and here's my other choices in that selection:

Arctic Cat 4 stroke: 53 hp from a 658cc four stroke triple

Polaris Frontier: "Approximately" 50 hp fro a 784cc EFI twin.

Ski-Doo Legent Sport: ?? hp (not stated anywhere on site) from a 1,000cc V - twin.

Yamaha: RX-1 145 hp from a 1,000 cc inline four.

I wonder which one I'm going to finding the limits of the most quickly?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
you're somewhat correct machzzzz1, but it went like this; Why design a completely different engine when you already have one of the finest in-line fours going. As far as not having the money for a new 2-stroke you're wrong, they don't want to go in that direction.

As far as HP goes, I'm sure that was a really tight engine that wasn't close to being broken in. I have heard from too many reliable sources that have dynoed it close to 150. I believe Bender reported one of there's in the mid 150's after prolonged testing allowing the engine to loosen up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
150's???? Now that is pushing it.

I can't wait until there is some snow and end all this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm prompted to reply to this one because I own an FZ1 Yamaha (its a motorcycle guys). Went through this same dyno dillema on that board. I am by no means an authority on the issue, but here is what I am told. Dyno's read different, some are going to read actual (usually the lower #) or corrected dyno readings. Apparantly corrected dyno's adjust for temp. and atmospheric pressure etc. In other words they give you the best possible readings for perfect conditions (benifit of the doubt). On the FZ1 yamaha claims 141(same basic motor), actually the highest were only dynoing about 134 or less. I also agree that break in has a small part (very small) to play with it. On to weight, a friend told me 600lbs with 1gal of gas???? Not sure on that but that would explain the schooling it recieved at hayday's. Sorry, not trying to upset anyone. :withstupid:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Isn't there something to this motor, like after a little use and break in, say
something like 1000 miles it has a tendency to "Wake up" a little bit more?
Most likely after proper break in and everything starts to seat itself the motor
may produce more. Maybe more then you'd expect. Anybody own or here of someone
with the R1 that has noted this? Even though, 140 HP isn't that bad but it could
shed a couple of #'s. Sure the horsepower to weight ratio isn't the best but in
true stock form, it should be able to get out of it's own way! :blahblah:

You know that someone will mod the tar out of it and figure out a way to make it
fly. I just hope I'll be there to see it or read about it on here.

MXZ900 - Don't let us down man! :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Unfortunately people see things very differently, one camp touts the RX-1 as the do all, faster than anything high tech revolutionary snowmobile. The other camp sees it as somewhat of a "gimmic".

The truth is the RX-1 is innovative, high tech, and will fill the bill for some riders. On the other hand in general it is much heavier than the other sleds of today, probably will not accelerate or handle as well as the others 800-900cc sleds. The RX-1 will probably be faster on the top end than the 8-900 twins.

Another benefit is reportedly the fuel mileage which remains to be seen.

All of that aside, I would have to be skeptical to think that the RX-1 would be the sled to beat for a few reasons..........weight, the plug fires every two revolutions insted of every rev, and Yamahas masterful hyping of its products.

Now before you kill me about the hype, the riders of their products are just as responsible for this as Yamaha is. Case in point the SxViper last season, they marketed it as a mogul eating sled to beat all, But the Yamaha faithful brought it to the next level with "talk" and false info from Yammie about how it is 135 horse, so it will kill a 127 horse MXZ700 etc.....which did not happen of course.

Was the Viper a good sled......yes it was and is, just as the RX-1 will be if used where it belongs......on smooth trails that are relatively wide and fast with sweeping turns, it will shine. If you are gonna go to the twisties and chase a Firecat, good luck.....you gonna try pounding moguls with a Pro-X, its limitations will show.

If you want a sled that has good power, 4-stroke mileage (reportedly), 4-stroke durability, and want it to go real fast on a looooong straightaway and are willing to sacrifice some cornering and bump capabilities.....get an RX-1, as a matter of fact it would fit my riding style pretty good, but I am too cheap and want the "kinks" out before I pony up, it could be my next ride, we will see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, the FZ1, the R1, and the RX1 are all the same basic motor. After 1200 miles the only thing i noticed was that my bike got 42mpg. Personally, I didn't notice a power diff. But then again if I could use 134hp going around a corner I prob. shouldn't be riding on the street. I noticed a couple of companies making light exhaust and turbos etc.. for the RX1. Maybe things are diff for sleds, but performance parts for the bikes are EXPENSIVE and don't amount to much. You have to remember that the R1 motor is very highly tuned, in stock form everything is very close. I guess if you can afford an RX1 you prob. won't lose any sleep over putting a turbo on it. I remember back in the late 80's, (am i that old :sarcasm: ) the big debate with 2stroke vs. 4. some mag. used a 600 sport bike and a 250 MX bike the 2stroke smoked it every time. Of course the 4banger is always going to have better top end, but I personally want accerleration. wheee SWRules

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Something else no-one is talking about is that the mototr has to run so many miles before the timing or something goes away. Does anyone no-=what it was. i remeber guys talking about it. that could be a few ponies.
Caleb ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its just like cars, some people own a Camero, some a Mustang, some a Vette, etc. I don't defend Yamaha's because I own one. This is America (excuse most of you user's in Canada) and you have freedom of choice. What an engine is Dyno'd at is never really what it is, and like a another user said, every dyno is not the same. But there are a lot of people that are going to line up and buy that sled. And they have the right to. If we all owned the same sled, this site would be boring as hell.

Look at the Ford Mustang and the Chevrolet Corvette. For the past 20 years they used the same small block V-8 engines in Lincoln town cars, granada, pick-up's etc.
The Vette, same thing, Camero, Nova, Caprice, pick-up's, etc. To say they ran out of funds to design a new engine is ridiculous. they got a good one

Most people just don't like change. And I admire the people that have purchased them, that is a hell of a lot of money for one, and 2 they are the inovators of change!

Yes in my neck of the woods I am one of the few Yamaha riders in the this Cat infested part f the country. I get flack all of the time about my Yammi on the trail. A friend of mine owns a snowmobile tour business. He has purchased a RX-1 and I am dying to try it out when the snow flies. He also purchased 2 Cat 4 strokes, Cat 900 mountain, and the remainder of his fleet are mountain max's and other 500 fan cooled mountain sleds. When I ride it, I will say if it sucks in the mountains or if it was any good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes dyno readings can be fussed with. As for corrected & non corrected readings. Corrected readings are the ones you want to watch beacuse they remove temp. & humidity from the equation. In theory you could test the same engine in NY at sea level, or test in Utaw at 6000' the #'s would be the same. the correction factors are what people can mess with. reputable people will give you accurate #'s.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't know how you could believe Yamaha is out of money. Right now they have a two stroke engine that is capable of 2006 emtions and a four stroke that is going to follow the R1 motor. Both are still in the works though. The two stroke uses an alternative to DFI and Yamaha is not saying just what they are doing with it. The four stroke is a 200hp 900 that is expected to follow the R1 motor but Yamaha has not said whether or not it will hit the market with 200 horses. All they have said is that the 200 horse version is being tested and is as reliable as the R1 motor. Who knows when either of these engines will hit the market. R and D is Yamaha's main priority and its hard to believe they are out of money with so many projects going.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts