Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did some electrical resistance checks on my ignition system(2000 ZRT 800). Both coils primarys check out to be 0.50 ohms. The spec is 0.29 - 0.39. Secondary leads are ok. My ignition timing sensor checks out ~700 ohms. The spec is 80.8 - 121.2. Now, I am not ready to go out and buy new coils. Since both check out the same (0.5 ohms), it is hard for me to believe they both are bad. Besides, .10 over spec isn't going make me spend $200+ for two coils.  Now, the ignition timing sensor not only checked out way out of spec, but physicaly looks bad. I mean there is rust on the magnetic pick up, as well as a chip out of the plastic housing near the pick-up. There is also some minor rust on the reluctor on the flywheel. Am I right in thinking that this sensor is what tells the CDI to fire the coils?. The higher restance in the sensors windings would mean that it is putting out a lower voltage signal than it should. This is a magnetic pickup sensor, similar to ABS wheel sensors on your car, right?. So it produces its own voltage right?. Please let me know if I am on the right track here.
Rob H

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob........You haven't told us what the symptons are.  800's are notorius for bad stators.  Does it run?  Did you check the charge coils of the stator?  Coil #1 is the green and white wire on the 4 wire plug going to the CDI box.  Restistance should be 480 ohms plus or minus 20%.  This is usually the one that goes bad.  The restistance can change when they get hot too.  I have never seen, or even heard of coil failures or timing sensor failures on a ZRT800.  If you are having spark problems with a ZRT800 it is almost always the stator or the carb switches.  Have you tried jumpering the carb switches, teather and kill switch with the jumjper plug in the steering column?  Try that first.  If it's not that, check the stator.  e-mail me with any questions you have at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i had the staors go down on my 95,96 zrt 800s they ccost around $490 plus instalation.  then on my 99 the coil went down( at least this was covered under warrenty.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is a list of stator rewinders

Electric Tech.  508-478-0692   $125   Lifetime warranty
Stator Corp.  508-478-0976   $150   2 year warranty
Ricky's Stator  619-449-3905  $150    warranty?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it runs fine.  But I am fouling plugs out.  I just want to eliminate any possibility. I am going to do the primary (stator) electrical checks this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts