Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John I got the old engine 101 book out and did some reading.
The reason that pipe temp goes up with retarted timing is because when the mixture is lignited later,
the burn is still happening when the exhuast port is opened, blowing burning gasses into the pipe.
Certainly not a very efficient way to have your engine set up. Lots of wasted energy . Bottom line I guess the 98 pipe's are a poor design.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it could be advantageous to run high compression and retarded timing for drag racing.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don.t thing there is any adventage in having your fuel burn in the exhaust, I thing it is better to keep it in the combustion chamber let it burn in there, the more fuel you can burn means the more hot expanding gasses to push down the piston=more power. Ever wonder why leaning out a engine ( giving it less fuel) produces more power? Should start another thread on that one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
my buddies drag sled has retarted timeing forgot to change the computer one year on trail ride and couldnt make the rpms riped the clutch down, changed clicker helix ect trying to get it . o i forgot the timeings retarted. good idea for drags, id say 99 % of the top drag sleds are retarted?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I read in snowtech.that the new poo race sled has this feature were you hit the red button on the line to build heat in the pipe it said the system was pat. pend. also said it was a timing retard feature.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey 670 if you really want another fact which usually goes against the grain.when I first bought this mach I had just come off of a 96 which i grass raced and radar ran with alot of sucess.As it came off the assembly line the machine wouldnt even lift the skiis.Needless to say I was not too impressed,but I clutched it and geared it and played around with the motor and got almost as quick as my 96.Then i got a recall notice for my track,I told my dealer not to touch anything else(even wrote it on the work order)When I picked it up they handed me a box full of clutch parts,jets gears etc, Then to my horror they told me what they did,retared the timing,crap I thought this thing was already lazy on the bottom as it was.Much to my surprise it ripped on the bottom and again agaist most theory it was slower on the top.go figure.I always thought that they should have made up a different stinger for this sled,which I did later,and again it seemed to wake up the bottom even more.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, I would have to guess that retarding the timing was the easyest way Bomb. could make the pipes work and not have a lot warrenty claims. Those center dumps only used the one year, wonder why? The small stinger would doo the same (heat the pipe up more) but would make it more exeptible to a burn down on a long run.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mr 670 do they still have radar runs on the river down by the marina??? If so could you let me know if they have a formal schedule or when they are planning any events???Also we'll have to get together for a ride sometime(snow permitting)Or get drunk and bench race.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John, are you talking about Soldiersbay in Hollandlanding? No radar runs there just alot of informal racing. Soldiersbay(very small) is the first part of the river to freeze, as soon safe or close to being safe it is a zoo, you can find 40 to 50 sleds all racing back and forth in a area that is big enough for 10 sleds. It's alittle crazy.
There is radar runs every Sat & Sun on Lake simcoe at Big Bay Point Blondies restaurant, thats if the lake freezes this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts