Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riders,

I just got turn down from Bombardier yesterday. They will not help in anyway to repair my engine. I will be taking them to court, and I need some help building my case.

As I'm sure some of you are aware the <span style=\'color:green\'>1998 Formula III 700 had an issue with the PTO bearing in the crankcase burning up. I have talked with a few gentlemen who got the bearing replaced under warranty - after they're warranty had expired.

I need to know any information you might have on the PTO bearing situation with the 98 triple 700 motor.

and, If anyone has had the work down to thier machine warranty / non-warranty... and especially warranty after the 1 year warranty period.

Please and thank you for all your comments.

Geoff Gray
Bombardier Claim # 649955
1998 Formula III 700</span>

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
formula111,
i am, afraid you have your work cut out for you and i would bet you will get nowhere with your efforts. the sled is 5 model years old.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thats just the nature of the beast. most dealers will cover things if they know the history of the sled even when you have gone a little past the warranty. but in this case i do not think you will win and will spend more money then what it is worth to fix. :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its VERY difficult to win against a big company like that when your by yourself. ESPECIALLY one as big as bombardier.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have heard of people getting work covered under warranty after it expires but no oem is obligated after 12 months. I would guess that you would be further ahead just fixing it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Sorry guy. The other posts pretty well sum it up. If it happened during the second season, I can see them helping out but now, I don't think so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think there was a recall for that in 98/99.A hole was drilled for lubrication for the bearing.Good luck on getting it coverd now. :(

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
lawyer fees will be more than repairs ??? .and I think the others are right you'll get nowhere ,a couple delays and your lawyer bill is over the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey buddy you will have no luck i can fix it for less than your lawyer fees,let me know if you want it repaired and your close to ohio
dave

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
formula111,
where is the town of not given ? i can't seem to find it but i am sure it is in the states somewhere.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I could feel your frustration , I owned a 98 grand touring triple triple and paid $13000.00 canadian for it , anyways I had this shut down problem with it , so i brought to 3 doo shops and they all couldn"t figire it out . One of the shops offer me $5200.00 on a trade in for a new one to further to slap me in the face , so I stopped useing it and sold it for $6500.00 thinking pretting bad about it though. I know your hurting ,bomby turn me down completly too and I was pissed . The best thing you could do is probably just fix it cheaply and sell it , then keep in mind what bomby done to you , when buying a new one . Make sure that bomby knows how you feel about them about this issue. On the same note but different time , this happen to me again with a 91 rxl 650 polaris , efi problems cause a burndown piston , and I was turn done 1 week after the warrantee was off , and do you know what polaris in minnesota told me ,"if your not happy with our product buy someone elses"and hung up the phone. So I fix it and sold it and stuck with doo ever since . I think when polaris was doing bad with there storm they started to lose a lot of business to the other three manufactures , huh comes around goes around I thought. Hope this puts a little ease in your stress , keep fighting with bomby though, cause the do value there costomers , and don"t like to lose there buyers . Maybe offer to pay half for it , if they don't go for it at all start emailing the mags on it . Good luck ??? P S I own an Indy now [ while its my wifes ] :doh:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Youre wasting your time!! Ill bet most of the guys who got the sleds covered out of warranty had a great dealer pullng for them or the dealer back doored the claim somehow. Bombis not going to cover a claim on a 1998 sled and courts will laugh at a lawsuit over a warranty claim 4 yrs after expiration. Take your lumps and spend the lawers fees elsewhere. Skimikedoo, Its a shame no one would cure that 98 GT! The had a wiring harness problem under the motor, that caused what you described ,very common!!! Not too bad to fix, we did one in a driveway in quebec a few yrs back. The wires were routed improperly and would chafe on the chassis causing an intermittent ground.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Going to court will only cost you money and you will lose. Bombardier has fullfilled all parts of there legal obligations to you. They honered your 1 year warrenty, and thats all they have to do.

However Bombardier is a good company for this. What I would do is forget dealers. Get the 800 number for bombardier and explain to them what happend to your sled. Tell them how it broke and how you heard there is a fix and how it is commen for this engine. Tell them that you are very upset with what happend since the sled has hardly been driven and has been taken care of its whole life.

If its been serviced by your dealer that will help you as well.

Then ask them if there is any chance that you can still have it fixed becasue you find this to be there problem not yours.

Maybe they will go 50/50 with you. Its better then nothing. It wouldnt suprize me if they just told you to bring it to your local dealer and have it fixed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by TT670@Nov 20 2002, 10:12 AM
Youre wasting your time!! Ill bet most of the guys who got the sleds covered out of warranty had a great dealer pullng for them or the dealer back doored the claim somehow. Bombis not going to cover a claim on a 1998 sled and courts will laugh at a lawsuit over a warranty claim 4 yrs after expiration. Take your lumps and spend the lawers fees elsewhere. Skimikedoo, Its a shame no one would cure that 98 GT! The had a wiring harness problem under the motor, that caused what you described ,very common!!! Not too bad to fix, we did one in a driveway in quebec a few yrs back. The wires were routed improperly and would chafe on the chassis causing an intermittent ground.
Thats not true I just got some of the recall items on my 98 mach1 done (voltage reg, outer prim clutch) all i did is called bobi and asked them they said to take the parts to a dealer and they would warrinty it . They even gave me the names of the people that owened both of my sleds. Nice people at bobi in my op :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ivr got a pretty good background on this stuff, I know how the system works. The primary clutch was a SAFETY recall!! Every owner was notified by registered mail. Doo will change every one of those regardless of time frame, because of the admitted fault, failure to do so will open the doors to lawsuit in the event of injury as a result of a failed clutch. The voltage regulator was a gimme, simply because it ws going in for the clutch. If you had needed a crank they would have told you to pound salt.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 95 Mach Z. When my motor went I was told that it was very common with the Rotax triples, but it is somewhat circumstantial. I know how you feel. The thing that really gets me is that it was still happening in 98. Obviously this is a problem they should have taken care of and I see your point. The problem is they don't necessarily have to take care of you either. Like Machzzzz said, they did the one year warrantee and thats all they have to do in the legal sense. When you think about it, the fact of the matter is anyone can make a complete peice of crap and not take any responsability for it...as long as there are no guarentees which in this case there aren't once you go beyond that one year warrantee.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by sledcrazy@Nov 19 2002, 10:11 PM
Its VERY difficult to win against a big company like that when your by yourself. ESPECIALLY one as big as bombardier.
This is true. BUt...it won't go to court. It is much cheaper for Bombi to fix your engine than it is for them to fight you thru court. If your lawyer sends them a good letter, they will probably give you what you want.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Originally posted by performancex+Nov 20 2002, 04:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (performancex @ Nov 20 2002, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sledcrazy@Nov 19 2002, 10:11 PM
Its VERY difficult to win against a big company like that when your by yourself.  ESPECIALLY one as big as bombardier.
This is true. BUt...it won't go to court. It is much cheaper for Bombi to fix your engine than it is for them to fight you thru court. If your lawyer sends them a good letter, they will probably give you what you want.[/b][/quote]
the lawyers get paid in court or not,those big companys have them on retainer all year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts