Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No technology leap just a race bike engine in a snowmobile.  

I like it and its a good alternitive but now that i know 2 strokes can be made to polute less then a 4 stroke and makes twice the power of an equal sized 4 stoke engine i just want things to remain the same. (edit by moderator)  

Go ahead and jump on this nice new yamaha 4 stoke.  Wait till somthing breaks and your on the trail trying to see through the crossword puzzle that only japaniese engineers can solve called the engine.  

2 stroke are just part of snowmobiling and I dont belive that this 4 stroke will be as fast as they say it will be.  It will be like the viper all over.  They will claim its all that and a bag of chips but then it turns out to be nothing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the sled is essentially a R-1 sportbike engine in a sled.  there are some impressive changes to the sled as well.

perhaps some of you shouldn`t be so quick to discount the effort.  first of all it will help to get the fanatical greenies off our backs.  Secondly, having spoken to a few journalists who have tried it, I was told that it flat smokes the SRX (from any speed).

Much as I love my two-strokes, and having owned modern sport bikes, I can tell you that some serious consideration is in order.  Just ask anyone who has lost a MX race to a YZ 400.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
no matter what make doo, cat, polaris or yammer i know for a fact you cannot beat the reliability of a 4 stroke. every one out of three snowmobiles on the trails today is going to or has blown a major expense at its owner while it is still considered a new or quite current model sled. just generally snowmobiles are a terrible for reliability and with the coming of the four stroke all that is going to change. when i rode motorcycles {raced competitive also} the four stroke engine never gave trouble but when i used 2 strokes same old piston and crankshaft crap as today with a snowmobile. i can't wait to have a four stroke sled and know that if i own 3 of them none are going to burden me with engine trouble. i am going to wait for the same perfomance as a 2 stroke before i crossover though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i too am on the "not to get too exited" list.ive owed the 660r raptor that yamaha came out with and it was fast and handled better then any 4-wheeler that ive owned but it was just cheaply built. hey people -stay with what u got and wait a couple of years. they all will be competeing for our money and will have good machines but dont jump on this new sled yet as i did with that raptor that turned out to be a dollor nightmare.
i predict that its going to be hard to catorgorize these new 4-stroke for a while because they all have there own ideas for the 4-stroke sleds.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If Rotax decides to build a hp 4 stroke,I will jump on one.DFI is on the way sometime soon.Question is if they are going with DFI on the 2 strokers to clean up the air.The way it sounds,in 10 years 2 strokers will be a thing of the past.Paul is right about 4s being dependable and long lasting.I love 2 strokers,power,smell,instant throttle response.Time will tell. All the technology is there,now they have to start useing it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As long as the 4-strokes can perform like a 2 stroke like the yammy seems too and skidoo makes one, I would buy one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Ski-Doo men!
                   a great day for  snowmobiles industries!!!
If the RX-1  do all that Yamaya says (135-140 h.p.,same weight thant SrX and better performance than SrX)  all the others compagny are  obsolete.I had  3 Yamaha motorcycles in the pas and they  are very powefull and reliable!!
If Ski-Doo can 't  equalized  the Rx-1  in performance ,reliability and price!!!!Bye,Bye Ski-Doo  doo your homework and try to
pass  Yamaha! Personnally  i take one or two years to analyse snowmobile market and if Ski-Doo doo nothing  bye ,bye!!!!

Z36Qc

·
Registered
858 Posts
From what i've seen, I don't think that it's weight is less than the SRX. They don't mention weight in the specs and I find that kinda suspecious. The dry weight is probably as heavy as a srx with a full tank of gas, oil and coolant. Other than the weight, they give alot of good info. If all they say is true, skidoo must come up with something comparable or all we might see on trails next year will be blue and i'm not talking about snowjets

·
Registered
258 Posts
They say the weight is within 5 percent of the SRX  If the SRX is 525 then were talking about 550.  But it holds something like 3 gallons less fuel since it gets about twice the mileage.  3 gallons of fuel is roughly 21 pounds.

So darn close.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its a tough call boys,a week ago i was never buying a 4-stroker or even thinking about it. But Yammi's got me thinking
now,lets face it SRX's are no slouch and if this 4-popper beats
it up without to much weight gain whatthe heck i might ride one. Mach z's are fast but 555lbs. isn't that light either.
                                       GREYGOAT

·
Registered
144 Posts
That sles sounds impressive. Just think how flat that power band must be. It would be a breeze to clutch. Just bring it in soft to let it hook up, then throw the weight to it and let it fly. I have to wonder if Doo or Polaris can come out with a 4 stroke to compare. Cat may be able to because of Suzuki. These 2 companies have a lot of experience to draw from when it comes to 4 strokes. The great thing is that it's going to be good for all of us. Every time a company raises the technology bar, the rest have to work harder to improve. It all benefits US in the end. The next few years should be real interesting.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
rotax has been building 4 strokes for years most just dont know it. the bmw motorcycles with 650 singles are rotax powered and so is mz's.my buddy races flat track motorcycles that have 500 single fourstoke rotax's on them.they are not new to the 4 stroke but they may need more than they anticipated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are rgiht dooman ROTAX were building four strokes before any body else on snowmobiles    (alpine in late 80`s) also on the BMW motorcycle , kit airplane`s etc. As for Gas milage of the Yamaha I doubt that it will make twice the gas millage of a 2 stroke, let me see that means it will get 25-30 mpg! The 660 fuel injected artic cat 4 stroke barely gets 25 mpg crusing 40 mph.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i dont know how many of you follow superbike racing but those italian bikes that will smoke anything are rotax motors, im talking about the "aprillas". dont get me wrong the r1 motor is reliable and fast but its not the bees knees.i think yamaha just opened pandoras box,if ski-doo puts there rotax motors that they use in the aprillas yamaha will be playing catch up as usual and you wont get 5cents for the new yamaha with the same dinosoar suspension and overpriced parts that you can never get. i will stick with my 2 stroke 155hp 800 ski-doo for now. happy sleddin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts