Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 mxz. right now i think the cluth kicks in at about 3200 rpms or so. I want that to be higher like 4000. How do i acomplish that and what will i benefit?

·
Registered
678 Posts
That seems low for an MXZ, it should be around 4000. Maybe your spring's getting weak.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
primary spring.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive got mine idling so high, that if I dont hold the break the sled moves. :D JUST KIDDING :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you dont understand clutching, than this will be pointless, but here we go!

First, find out what primary spring you have.
Second, find out what the shift weight force spec is for that spring.
Third, find a spring with a higher first number but the same last number.

For example,

Lets say that your stock spring is a 200-380 pounds.
To get a higher engagement you might want to try a 230-380.

If all you are looking for is higher engagement, that is the wat to do it.
Try not to change the last number, this will cause you to change the rate that your clutches with shift. That area should be left to experienced clutch tuners that know what type of shift they are looking for.

Oh yea, if you cant find a spring with the same last number, just try to stay as close as possible to it. Going up or down ten pounds from the last number should not cause any problems.

Try hlsm.com or a dealer to find out what spring you have, then get back to me and I will try to help you some more!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd bet $20 that if you just replaced the primary spring with a new stock one you will pull that engagement up to 4000 RPM. I replace my primary spring every season.

·
Registered
624 Posts
SWRules Once again thanks Harcore. :D You've dropped a bit of information that I wanted to know. You obviously have knowledge that I'd like to here more of. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not a problem. I will try to help out when I can.
The problem with clutching is that it seems to be an endless frustrating battle. Sometimes when I think I got it right, someone else I know comes up with another killer set-up.

Its all about testing, testing, testing!

By the way Troll, it sucks that we started off on the wrong foot. :( But now we seem to be on the right one. :D

Have a good day :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Does anyone know the spec from Doo that the sled should engage?

It is a simple as just looking up the right spring that has the correct engagment force poundage. it does not sound like a new spring would hurt it that is for sure. If the sled has 3000+ miles, it is probably due for and entire clutch overhaul. I do mine once a year, just to keep it fresh.

Troll - Feel free to email if you have clutching questions, more than happy to help.

[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts