Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the in's and out's of importing sleds into Canada, I have heard that they require certification (appaently canadian Tire are the only onse capable of doing this?), I also understand that this requirment is only for certain years? (older than 15 years does not require this certifcation?)

Some have told me you just pay your duty and sales tax at border, and the fee to change ownership at MTO, Others have told me its a huge hassel and very expensive to get the sleds certified to Canadian standards?

Im just thinking of going to Michigan to pick up a couple of used machines with the dollar being what it is, but i'm nervouse that I may run into many unfoseen costs/hassles

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<Some have told me you just pay your duty and sales tax at border, and the fee to change ownership at MTO, >>>

Darn sure no expert here, but I sold a sled to a guy from Canada that said he worked in customs. The above is what he told me....

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
<<<Some have told me you just pay your duty and sales tax at border, and the fee to change ownership at MTO, >>>

Darn sure no expert here, but I sold a sled to a guy from Canada that said he worked in customs. The above is what he told me....[/b]
This is true right perm? LadyK ??

Snow4

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I can offer some insight on this as I imported two sleds from Michigan from Snow4.

Customs will WANT the money for taxes on "amount" paid.

Canadian Tire is the place to get it certified for Canada, even though it was made here and is the same...no day time running lights..lol. There is no hassel other than taking it there and no changes to be made.

The RIV will want there money within 30 days, $185 per machine if I remember right.

When you are all done head down to the MTO and register it all, bring the filefolder of documents with you that proves any saftey recalls were done by a dealer.

Permafrost

1 - 5 of 5 Posts