Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this yesterday, so I thought I'd post it to remind us Minnesotans born from '77 thru '79, we will be included in safety requirements next season:

"A snowmobile safety certificate will be required after 10/1/2002 for anyone born after 12/31/76." -MN DNR

Formerly it was only those born after 12/31/79.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
For those of us out of state what does this mean? Is it like in Ontario if you don't have a drivers license, and you are over the age of 12, you need a Motorized Snow Vechicle Operators license?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Thats a drag!
Do we have to go to those classes that the 12 year olds take too, or can we just take the test and be done with it?  Does it cost anything/ how much??
Thanks for posting, cuz I would have never thought of checking.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Yes PH you have to spend the day in class with the kids.

A good friend of LadyK took the course about a year ago.  She said it was fun listening to the kids war about what brand X is better. It is only a one day course, from 9am to 3pm.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I still have mine from '77  
My brother is freaking out because he can't find his and is afraid the province will enact similiar legislation. I'm surprised the media here hasn't carried on about the fact that you need a special class M license to ride a motorcycle but no special sled license is required.

I may be wrong but licensed 12 to 15 year olds are no longer able to cross "roads" in Ontario after the media got a hold of that fact.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no, we don't have to sit in class with the kids.  There's the kids snowmobile safety training which is like a few hours a nite for 3 sessions, or something, and then a driving test.  The adult course is just classroom (four hours on a Saturday), then a written test and that's it.
I got this info from the '2001-2002 Minnesota Snowmobile Safety Laws, Rules & Regulations'
There is a version online at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/trails_....s02.pdf

Page 10 list rules for non-residents.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
minnestoa can like my (XXXX).   The dnr is a orginzation that is full of it.  I am happy that i do not have to take this class as i am old enough.  I think this class may be good for some,  but when people are 26 years old and they are expected to take a class i think that is a bunch of bull.  I have been riding sled since i was 10, and have not stopped yet and do not plan to.   Now if you have never ridden sled before,  then i think there should be a class to ride.   Sorry so long winded,  but the dnr can really piss a person off.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Our ever so bright ontario government came out with a brain wave here for the boating licenses.It appears that as of this fall anyone operating a craft 14ft and under must have a license but you don't need a license to operate a bigger one till 2008 or 09
What is up with that.Some idiot can fly around in his 30 baja but a fisherman has to learn how to drive his 12 footer with a 6hp

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I can't go out & buy a Huyabusa without a class M license, yet I could go out & buy a MXZ 800 without ever riding a sled before & head for the trails.  

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yeah, quite skrewey.  I agree that if you haven't ridden before you should be required to take it but otherwise HECK NO!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you are a first time rider or a minor then you should be required to take a snowmobile safety course! These courses familiarize the person on the components of a snowmobile, operating system and depending on the course they let you ride a machine to become generally familiar with the way they handle!

Here in Saskatchewan it is mandatory that children 12 - 16 take the course if they are to be riding a machine by themselves. After 16, a valid drivers license is required. I quess after the youth turns 16 it is up to the parents to enforce the safety course on the youth. To me , it should be mandatory for all first timers and youth to have to take a snowmobile course. All youth and first time hunters have to take a mandatory safety course before they can hunt! You can kill someone with a sled as fast as you can kill them wuth a gun if you are unknowledgable and don't know what you are doing.

We rode with a guy this year that brought his 13 year old boy with him and put him on a 600cc polaris. We'll this kid was all over the place and you never knew where he was gonna be. That was ridin stubbles, good thing we were not on the trail! We asked him if he had taken the course and the answer was NO... His dad said it was a waste of time, He did,nt need it. I also seen his dad run smack into the rear end of another guy and flip his machine due to the fact he was riding to fast and not payin attention! He was an excellant role model for his kid!That was on the same day!

The mandatory boating course makes no sense to me. We in Saskatchewan have to take a coast guard approved test! Half the test was on boating in the ocean. I don't know about you but I haven't seen an ocean near Sask, since I have been here. I think the reasoning behind the 14ft rule is aimed towards the personal watercraft! Too many kids riding alone with no supervision! That is just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Snow Monkey: the same age thing applies in Ontario with sledders. Plus if you are over 16 & don't have a class G drivers license, you have to take the MSV operators course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts