Snowmobile World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 indy 400. Runs great, but still needs brakes, suspension work, and the worst part...no steering. The stearing is frozen. The sled sat for about 2-3 years outside before i tried to save it. It seems to be stuck at the bottom of the steering shaft.

Any ideas on how to break it free? I was thinking i have to heat the shaft to get the grease in there fluid, then push new grease in there. Looks like i may have to pull the engine out to accomplish this.

Any other ideas? I know it isn't seized at the front. I disengaged the steering there, and the skis move fine.

Other questions...the skis have surface rust, but they are solid. Should i sand and repaint, or replace?

Also, shocks/springs seem shot. Rebuild or replace shocks? Coilover springs?

Thanks!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you arent able to get it free, there are usually cheap used shafts on Ebay. I upgraded mine this way to an adjustable set. You will if I remember correctly have to pull the motor. I had mine out anyhow.

If you feel the skis are good and solid, paint them and use them. Unless you want to sink a lot of money into the sled. But be prepared when you go to sell it not to recoop alot of the money.

AS far as the shocks, if they are original, they arent rebuidable. You will have to get a new set. Try Denniskirk.com or if you are in Canada, try Royal Distributiong for aftermarket shocks or you could always go to a dealer. To get the springs off of the shocks you will have to buy or borrow a spring compressor. I took mine to a local older dealer and he swapped the springs around for me for $10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1986 indy 400. Runs great, but still needs brakes, suspension work, and the worst part...no steering. The stearing is frozen. The sled sat for about 2-3 years outside before i tried to save it. It seems to be stuck at the bottom of the steering shaft.

Any ideas on how to break it free? I was thinking i have to heat the shaft to get the grease in there fluid, then push new grease in there. Looks like i may have to pull the engine out to accomplish this.

Any other ideas? I know it isn't seized at the front. I disengaged the steering there, and the skis move fine.

Other questions...the skis have surface rust, but they are solid. Should i sand and repaint, or replace?

Also, shocks/springs seem shot. Rebuild or replace shocks? Coilover springs?

Thanks!!

Rob
i had the same problem i put oil on all the joints and put a rag with oil on it right on the joint that was frozen. let it sit for a few days it came loose and got better and better after that i didnt have the money for a new one so i tried it. worked great moves like butter now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts