Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Indy 500.  It starts to run hot and wants to overheat after running 1/2 to WOT throttle for a few minutes (lake or trail riding).  When you stop the sled it immediately cools back to normal operating temp (per the temp gauge).  I would assume it would run hot during idle and cool off when mobile because of cold air circulation???

I searched on overheating and found the radiator cap fix.  Should I replace the rad cap and overflow tank cap?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
it might be you have air in your cooling system,bleed the air out by raising front end off the ground about 6 inches on the skis.start your engine and run about 3000-3500 rpm,open the top release on the raditor cap and watch your clear lines that goes to the recovery tank for air bubbles.run until you dont see any more air,close the release on top of raditor cap and shut motor off.
check your waterpump belt it could be loose.
replace your raditor cap to be sure.

A

·
0 Posts
I had the same prob with my ZRT.  No matter what I did to bleed the air out nothing worked.  I took it for a ride and squeezed the hoses every time the light came on.  Nothing popped it.  I got it back to my cabin and went to pop the A/F cap off to check the level and as soon as I cracked it I got a woosh sound.  Ever since it has been fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have two 500's,94 classic and a 96 indy 500 both with over 5000 miles. Never had a problem. I did drop the needles one position(raised the clip) in both of them. They did not run good in warmer weather, around 30 degrees. After raising the clip they ran fine in any weather. If your cooling system is ok,which i suspect it is, then check your plugs, drop your needles and watch your plugs. You should be good down to about 10 below. good luck.

·
Registered
791 Posts
More than likely the water pump belt is to loose and or the water pump pulley and crank pulleys are worn and the belt cannot be tighted enough to take up the slack.  I have ran in to this on my old sled.  Also once the rad cap would not hold pressure in the system did the same thing ran cool at idle but ran hot when running it.  Just a few things to check.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses!  

ZRT600, this was happening last winter, trying to get it running right before the snow flies  

1 - 8 of 8 Posts