Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' 800 indy storm that I have had nothing but problems with. It has about 5900 miles on it right now. Early in life, it was good, but last year the motor had to be rebuilt, and since then it seems like I have had a lot of problems.

Has anyone in there polaris history had some experience with these sleds. Right now, it has fox shocks all the way around, and slp ultralight ski's. I realize she is getting old, but she should still have some good times left.

I use it as a back up sled now, I had to get something a little lighter and that could take the bumps better on the trail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a 97 Storm, I had to have the Crank seals replaced, but it had over
5000 miles on it, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Other than that, it ran great. I finally sold it last year when I bought my new Edge X.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, my previous post was to vague.

My problems I believe are with the clutch. Last year I went through two belts in 50 miles, so I think their was an obvious alignment problem. I think I have that fixed, but now it only eats the teeth off the belt. Do you think there is to much pinch in the sheaves?

Another problem are the shocks. I realize these don't have much to do with polaris because they are fox shocks. It seems like the shocks have to warm up. When I was doing my preseason work, I noticed when the sled is sitting on the ground, the limter strap is limp. But when its riden, and you stop the strap is tight. Is this a definite sign my shocks are fading and can go at any time?

I also use stabil in the gas in the fall to get the carbs ready for storage. But I am thinking I should take the carbs out to be cleaned. I haven't had to much experience with carbs, but there is some back fire when the sled is started cold. So I want to clean them and adjust the mix. Are the carb's on this model pretty straight forward, and does anyone have good tips for cleaning the carbs?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Looks like you have AT LEAST 2 major issues that are easily fixed.

1. The clutch alignment or offset must be still off. Go buy a $10.00 offset/Alignment tool and correct this issue. Anytime belt wear is obvious there is an issue.

2. The Xtra-10 skid needs to come out and be serviced. The front limiters always have tension. Even when set to full extension. It looks like your front torque are is binding or the front shock needs to be recharged.

These fixes are reletively easy and not very expensive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts