Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 1996 ultra with a little over 5000 miles for 1600. Are there any issues to consider on this sled? Its got an extra-10 rear with fox all around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
well 5000 miles is alot,but if it made it that far it must be running ok.
most people don't like that year because they came from the factory set up like @#$#.
what I was told is that it had heads on it that were for above 7000'..I really don't know how much truth is to that but my brother has one that is piped and the thing flat out rocks!
and our riding is from 3000' to 7500'

I have a 97 twin 700 and I would gladly take the 680 triple over it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They were a great sled and motors are very good. I have had 2 and they were junk out of the box. If you go to '97 jetting specs it will be a different sled. When it had the stock pipe, I ran a 50/36 with a Polaris silver in the rear and 10-54 weights with a square almond spring in the front and geared down 1 tooth on the top gear. Then I piped it and it was an animal, but they need some tuning to make them run with pipes.

Buy it for $1600.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive got a 96 ultra sks 700. i hate that damn thing. never ran right. i think ill maybe do what you guys said, and tune it. its my dads sled.

·
Registered
179 Posts
:devil: Well i have an ultra and my budy also has a 1996 ultra i have to say they are very good trail sleds with the stock pipe clutch it up ect not bad performance i have my canister guted and my air box gutted but my budy put a set of slp 3 pipes a set of aftermaket reed and heads the thing just flys it is awsome i might do the same to mine but do more porting to it the ultra came from the factory with trail porting specks but if you do alittle more porting to the engine it add's another 5 horse power and i heard that you can take a pair of 800 hundred cylinders xcr style with the ves and just bolt them on maybe a few moddifcations but then you have an 800 to play with and every one thinks it's a 680 Hmmmmmm that sounds like a awsome project :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts