Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the lowdown on studding a high-profile track like a 1.25"?  I would think that 1.375" studs would tend to bend the track and tear out really easily.  Would they need extra support or backer plates or something?  What style of stud would be best?  I'm planning on 96 studs, just for safety traction on glare ice situations.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Alot of people seem to be using studs that are the same height as the lugs on 1.25" tracks, it seems that there is enough flex in the lugs for them to touch on ice, and enough bite as the track/studs depress into snow. I think for max performance most manufacturers and riders would suggest the 1.375", but if picking up traction on ice now and the, studs within a few thousandths of 1.25 would work just fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What ever size you go with ( My two cents 1.375" ) use a double backer plate.  This will help by cutting the chances of a pull through down.  Don't stud in the middle of the track bars with double backers.  Set the backerplates tight to the back of the lug.  That way the stud will move allot less.  

Good luck and have fun  

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't stud in the middle of the track bars with double backers.[/b][/quote]

Winterfreek- by track bars do you mean the skid frame rails?  So you're saying stud the outside of the track and not the inside?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think what he means is to put the backers tight against the track lugs.  Don't center them between the front and rear of the lugs.  You can still keep them in the center of the track (in between the rails).  I actually put 144 1.375" Stud-Boys in my XC 800 and it bent a couple, but they look pretty good.  I used the double-backers and only studded down the middle too.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense.  Then I guess I'd have to decide which side of the lugs to put them on--one side would give more support for braking, the other for acceleration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd vote for acceleration.  I think that's when they get bent the most.  I've actually never had one bent backwards from braking.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I suppose on account of weight transfer they'd be under more stress during acceleration.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think that c&A makes a stud that screws into your track,  they have had really good luck on mountain cats,   just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts