Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here a ways back asking for suggestions about selling or keeping these sleds. Since I like the sleds and I got some good feedback I decided to keep them and stick some money in them then ride them until they fall apart. I decided to put M-10's in them. Now, I am new to this sport and rely on the advice I get on these forums and talking to my cat dealer about what is reasonable and not reasonable to accomplish. So, I have emailed Fast regarding the M-10's and if and how easy it would be to install on these sleds and I have not received a response yet. I just emailed them yesterday so maybe I am expecting to much to soon. Anyways, has anyone done this? If so was it easy? Bolt, adjust and run? (for lack of a better term :D)

Also, someone suggested a post 97 ETT suspension. I was told that the tunnels on my 550 and 580 do not have enough angle to support these suspensions and that I would have to change or modify the tunnel to get the suspension to work? Has anyone put an 97 or better ETT on one of these sleds?

I really like these sleds since they are small and are really nice to zip around on trails so I want to keep them. I am finding the "hunt" for what I can and can't do fun but also frustrating since I am so new to the sport and not sure what all this entails.

I figure I'll post this on a couple of other forums and see what I can dig up there to :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I put an m-10 in my zrt and it really wasnt that difficult .I also put a post 97 fast track in the same chassi 96 straight tunnel (I can get you the intructions for that if you want/need ). the fast track is a big improvement over your stock skid BUT is nowhere close to the m-10 for ride quality in the bumps/rough trail . if you need any thing just let us know .Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
All of the guys who have put 97+ suspensions into ZR1 chassis have said that the angled tunnel is not needed. I've never done this swap but a LOT of guys have on arcticchat.com

snofrog, I wished I lived somewhere near you. I'd love to see what that M-10 is like!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
All of the guys who have put 97+ suspensions into ZR1 chassis have said that the angled tunnel is not needed. I've never done this swap but a LOT of guys have on arcticchat.com

snofrog, I wished I lived somewhere near you. I'd love to see what that M-10 is like![/b]

Erie Pa is only like 3-4 hrs from Toledo .ROADTRIP lol . M

·
Registered
980 Posts
The Cat TSL skid frame will work just fine in those sleds and you can probably pick up good used ones for $2 - 300 each. You may need to drill new mounting holes, and maybe even add some reinforcing plates, but you will definitiely have to modify the tunnels for M-10's. Like suggested above go to ArcticChat.com and will get plenty of help. I swapped a ZL skid into my 94 ZR about 8 years ago and it has been the best money spent on the sled. The Cat suspensions will definietly be the most cost effective solution and some will say better than the M-10, but you won't be disappointed either way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, now I am thinking about selling them and upgrading to a newer sled. I think I need to take a "thinking break" and let a month or two go by before deciding :bash:

I just don't want to get rid of the sleds. I really really enjoy riding them but I don't have the cash to run four sleds when it is just the wife and I now...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I`m only going to give you 8 month till you have to make a choose :tongue: when I made the decision to upgrade my suspension it was either that or to get out of the sport all together .I couldnt ride my sled the way I wanted to without extreme pain in my neck shoulders and back . I took the summer to think about weather the sport really meant that much to me .well it did lol I took 1/2 the money I could have spent on a new sled and did some suspension work .to this day I havent regreted my decision as I can now ride how I like without pain .some of my friends give me a hard time about having such an old sled but every summer I get to ask them "how much is your sled payment"? other than fuel ecconomy I see no real bennefit to me getting a newer sled as I havent riden a better one yet . good luck on your decision ,I know its a tough one ,been there done that lol . M

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
the ETT suspension with ETT tunnel is 13.5 inches of travel

the ETT suspension without ETT aka straight tunnel is 11.5" of travel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts