Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing my egt probes and dual display digatron on my 00 zr500.  I looked up the place meant measuements on D&Ds site.  Anything else I should know.  Do you just drill a hole and use some hitemp sealent?  Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Watch the depth the probes go in along with how far out.  I wouldn't use high temp. sealant unless you can get your hands on some SUPER high temp. stuff. If you do use the sealant, I would clamp it down with something also.  I used that liquid weld stuff(can't think of the name off the top of my head)and a clamp to secure the probes and that seems to be real sturdy.  Time will tell though since I haven't had it out yet of course.

Other than that, just follow the instuctions on where to run the wires, ie not to close together, and make sure + is before your coils, headlight, and everything else so that you don't get sparatic readings....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks phazer hater.  Where on your ac did you tap in to the power.  Did you tap in somewhere on a wire cause i'm thinking the accessory plug is after everything else.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
To tell ya the truth, I'm still working on hooking mine up.    Just as I was getting ready to start her up and do some checking with am Ohm meter, thats when I found out I have either a bad stator or CDI box....
 I was planning on running it directly from the main power off the CDI box as long as I got a constant draw.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i am guessing you are using clamp on probes.    all that you should have to do is drill a hole and clamp it onto the pipe      as for hooking up power, i just use one of the many power wires from behind the guage pod           also, don't totally rely on the EGT's until you have used them for quite awhile and even then check your plugs once awhile.      some engines like to run at different temps, so you will have to find the right temp and try to keep it around there

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am using clamp on probes.  Thanks for the suggestions like someone elses signiture says everything I know I learned on snowmobile world.  You guys are the best.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, if you are using quick response egt probes (which you should be using) make sure the loop at the end of the probs runs across the pipe. Arctic has all the measuerments as to how far the probs should be from the piston skirt or exh. flange. If you need this figure I have most of them.

Auggie

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Auggie @ Sep. 11, 2002, 11:10am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arctic has all the measuerments as to how far the probs should be from the piston skirt or exh. flange. If you need this figure I have most of them.[/b][/quote]
He is running D&D pipes, so he'll have to go by their measurements.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D&Ds site says 6inch from the piston for stock AC pipes.  Would this be the same measurement I would use for the D&D single or should I give them a call.  6inches works out to be in about the middle of the Y pipe.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well anyhow, heres what Arctic says.
1998/2001 ZR500 = 3.937"/100mm measured from the piston skirt. Normal EGT should be 1055*/568C.
Pre-ignition = 1100*/593C

Auggie

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Auggie I had been wondering about the temps also.  I like that there is only 50F between normal and pre-ignition.  Don't most engines have a wider range.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got an email back from D&D and they said use the AC recommended distance and 1050 recommended 1100 pre-ignition.  So its the same as stock thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes thats true. The range is from a low of 20* to a high of 100* with the  majority being from 50* to 100*.

Auggie

·
Registered
177 Posts
Definetly use the quick response pobes, other ones suck by the time they heat up and tell you, its already to late for the pistons and cylinders.

·
1,327 Posts
Is it possible to replace the clamps the are used???

The clamps that I have are not long enough to go around my Y-Pipe.

If not, can us remove the probes from the clamp and use them with weld on fittings??

I am using the stinger probes from Exhaust Gas Technologies.

Thanks.

DP!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts