Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a 1988 Arctic Cat El Tigre 5000 this year and I am new to snowmobiling and I will soon share the same passion that you all have!

I have taken the carbs off and cleaned them. I can get the sled started and running smoothly, but it does take a lot of pulls when it is cold. After it is warm, it starts on the first pull. I will wear out my arm starting cold, and I have purchased a NOS electric start kit.

Has anyone ever tried installing this? The E/S kit that I purchased is actually for a 91 Prowler, and I had to buy a different mounting bracket for the starter motor so far. I just found out that I will need to purchase a different stationary sheave for the primary clutch, as mine does not have the holes pre-drilled for the ring gear. Does anyone have a stationary clutch sheave that I can purchase?

Also are there any tricks that I should know about new before installing the kit? Does the primary clutch have to be balanced in some way after having the ring gear installed? I am not a mechanic, but the starter kit did included pretty nice installation instructions and seems like common sense.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to mask a problem with a remedy. Those sleds should start in three pulls, 5 max. I'll bet that your compression is down, fuel is bad, or carbs are still needing attention. I had an '88 wildcat and an '87 panthera. Both were three pull machines...cold-soaked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts