Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting new oem Ski-Doo hand grips and would like to know the best adhesive to use. I have heated ones. I've heard of using a glue gun, but what other ideas do you have? Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your replacing your whole grips I can't help you there, but if your replacing the grip covers then here you go!

I just did this on my REV and it was a pain in the arse! It literally took 3 hours to do! :cussing:

The original grips are molded with the elements on them!
So first cut the old ones off but you have to be VERY careful not to cut thru the heating elements under the grip. THe way I did it was to cut on the opposite side of the grip from where the wires come into the grip with a utility knife, but not going more than .040 deep!

Then I started in the middle of the grip and gently pulled the grip from the heating element. The grips are seales on both ends of the grip so starting in the middle works the best. Then when I pulled the grips to each end I cut them off on the end without the wires first and slowly pulled the old grip from the wiring, not to pull off any of the wires. :0:

For putting the new ones on, I tried just about everything then went to the directions on th package. Take out a grip, put your finger over hte little hole in the end, Pour isopropal alcholol in the other end, rotate the grip to make sure the whole inside is wet, pour out the remainder and cram the grip on! It is such a tight fit it might take you 4-9 times to get it on before the alchohol evaporates. What I found worked the best was to use a rag on the grip and twist it on while someone else was hitting the end. :cussing:

You won't need any glue! I put mine on and wanted to twist one a little bit more after the fact and forget it! It isn't moving! :cussing:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have been using "Aqua Net" hair spray. They slide on a little rough but they will not come off or spin.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you have an air compressor take a air blower with the fine tip and push it into the end of the new grip.start the grip on the bar then blow air into the grip it will slide on with no problem. You will have to put something in the end of your bars so the air dont blow out the other end. I use spray foam helps keep the grips warmer as well. But anything will work that you can stuff in there. Hope this helps you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use hairspray. Never pulled a grip off using hairsray yet.
Use the Super Hold kind. If this stuff will keep a womans hair-doo in place with hurricane like winds, it will keep our grips on. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:p Thanks alot guys! There's some good ideas there. When Bombi finally sends me the grips (on backorder), I'll use some of your ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts